'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Jeanne Aro

I remember Jeanne Cooper first on Ban Casey. I believe she played the part of the head nurse. Her name stood out to me because it's spelled the same as mine. My name is also Jeanne. My mother always watch The Young and the Restless and loved the show and now, since I've retired I'm at home babysitting and I watch it every day. Jeanne Cooper will certainly be missed.

Tnvolgirl in Phoenix

RIP Jeanne! Y&R won't be the same without you.

nancy

i have watched the y and r since day one. i am so sad for the loss of such a great lady. class all the way...

paula scott

sorry to here she died my prayers are with the family and i miss here she is a good actor god bless you all

Mary R

So very very sad to hear of Jeanne dying. I know the cast of Y&R are devasted. I feel like one of my family has passed. The show will go on I'm sure but there will never be anyone to replace her. I am so heartbroken. She was a trooper. I hope she is at peach and with God.

Virginia I Cooper

Mrs Cooper may she rest in peace. The show will never be the same without her

windyblue

RIP, wonderful actress

Marjorie

so sad to hear of her passing.what a wonderful women.she will be missed.,we all love you..RIP

Bev Wyman

SHe will be missed.may she rest in peace.

Sue

My heart breaks to loose Jeannie she was the Young and the Restless. The show will never be the same with out her. Rip Jeannie you were a great lady!

virginia terris

This so sad RIP Jeanne Cooper you will be missed you have been in my living room for years

MaryMRevis

OH MY!!! I knew she was very ill recently, and it was reported by her beloved son (actor Corbin Bernson) that she was back home and working to get physically well again...so this is very sad news!. Godspeed and rest in peace Ms Cooper. Your talent and your loving spirit will be missed. The Young & The Restless..will FOREVER be changed without you. My prayers to Mr. Bernson and his entire family on this great loss of theirs.

dl

so sad rip you will be missed<#

Sandra

Loved her as she was great actress and a classy lady!!

liz

Thats so sad that she passed! I was a fan of hers. R.I.P. Jeanne.. I will miss seeing you on the show!