'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Deanna

Rest In Peace. Loved you on Y & R. You will live on forever through your long career. Maybe Y & R can make a storyline around it. My sympathies to her family and friends.

jean hiers

mercy
this is hard to believe
how will the show go on
she will be greatly missed
i will miss her so much
my prayers go with her family

what will do jill do now with out her,,,,lol

Eileen

"RIP" MRS.C, A TRUE LEGEND.NO ONE CAN FILL YOUR SHOES, MY CONDOLENCES TO YOUR FAMILY.

J Q Caldwell

A big loss to a very classy program. My condolences to family and all who loved her. She will be missed. Fan, 40 years.

mary

I am so sorry, to hear this we love Jeanne {cathrine}. I don"t have word's how much she will be missed. God bless the family, and she will alway's be remembered.my prayer's go out to you Jeannie.

Richard Snyder

"RIP" Ms Jeanne Cooper ! I'm a single man of 61yrs,i've never really been a fan of soap operas,but then about 15yrs ago i watched an episode of Young and Restless,and i was instantly "HOOKED" on it ! But to this day,it is the "ONLY" soap opera that i will watch ! I even have my recorder set to record it "EVERY day in case i'm not home to watch it ! She will be "MISSED DEARLY" My Prayers go out to her real Family,and her TV Family !!!!!!! May GOD BLESS them all !!!!!!!

Gail

she will be sadly missed on the show young and restless. She was the best

LULA LAMBERT

I WILL MS. C I. WATCH THE SHOW DAILY.

Seriously?

You were AMAZING! You will be missed. We loved watching Y& R. There will never be another Mrs. C. Rest in peace. You can't be replaced!

stangpat

R.I.P. Jeanne, You are a "CLASS ACT". There will never be another like you! Thank You for the many years you have brought to Y&R. You are already missed by many!! God Bless your Family. See you in HEAVEN LADY!!!

Denise

I'm in tears...Our prayers are with her family & friends. My mother & I have been watching Y&R since the 70's. Jeanne was like part of the family.
So beautiful in every way. Y & R will never be the same. RIP

kathy marks

My sincere sympathy goes out to Jeannie family.. I have watched her since she began on Y & R and will truly be missed. Such a strong willed lady that will never be forgotten.

MJB's #1 Fan

Although I stopped watching a while ago, Mrs. Cooper was and always will be who is thought about when someone mentions Y&R. I saw the clip of her going up the stairs of her house and Jill at the bottom as she walked up those stairs on the Y&R set for the last time. It was sad, but I think the producers did an excellent job with that scene. It brought a tear to my eyes. I hope they have a funeral for Mrs. Chancellor on the show. R.I.P. Mrs. Cooper.

PrimaDiva

Ms Chancellor WAS the Young and the Restless. She could DRESSSS...We would sit around to watch to see what she was wearing. She could rag. She's dancing with the stars now! You. Go. Girl!!!!!

mlock2354

I can't refer to you as anyone but Mrs Chancalor or Kathryn, you have been in our home for 40 years and will be missed. No one could cut those eyes or make a point like you. RIP