'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

K.G.

Wow! RIP

Mary Clark

No!!!!! I hate to hear this. I grew up watching this classy lady. She was a GREAT actress and I will truly miss her. Y&R will definitely not be the same without her.

MTdeidre

I am terribly saddened by her passing. I've been a huge fan of Y&R for over 25 years and know she will be missed by her castmates and by me, personally as I DVR the show, daily. Rest in peace, Jeanne.

Kaeija

You have given me many years of enjoyment on Y&R, and I can't imagine the show without you. We will all miss you...you've been a joy to watch. RIP Duchess!

Bhavana

She has been looking so bad lately on Y&R and forgetting her lines. I knew the end was near. RIP Katherine

firebaby

wow... my grandmother and mother love this show... her fights with jill were epic, lol.... RIP Jeanne...

amy

Corbin and family So sorry for your loss. Mrs C aka Jeanne will terribly missed.

Joe

Thanks for sharing your talent with the world. RIP

creebop

""OH NO, OH NO, OH NO" is what I actually yelled outloud when I read that Jeanne passed away. My mom and I have watched her character for so many years...Blessings to her soul, family, and friends. Thank you Jeanne for so much entertainment...GOD BLESS YOU!

dee

ahhh, her character on Y&R got on my nerves,.............sorry for her family and friends.

Hannah Price

She will be missed. I've been watching the show for many years and she was definitely an important figure. She was a fantastic actress. I feel very badly because I really liked her character on the show. I'm sure her cast mates will feel the loss.

Keedee

\I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. Prayers for her loved ones. May the Lord have mercy on her soul.

bob

So sorry. I never heard a bad thing about her. She must have been a wonderful person. RIP sweetheart.

nana38

RIP Y&R will never be the same.I have watched everyday for years.You brought so much to the show.Thank you for all you gave.

Y. Williams

What a blow to my heart! My heartfelt sympathies go out to her family and cast of Young and the Restless. She will greatly be missed. RIP Jeanne Cooper aka Mrs. Chancellor