'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Sarah

I know your name is Jeanne Cooper but you will always be known as Catherine Chancellor to me. I have watched the show since it began. I will always remember you . Rest in peace my dear lady You were a inspiration to us all in so many different ways. Love to you and family. My condoleces are with your real family and your tv family

wanda

My heart goes out to katherns family , I will miss her . i started watching Y&R from the very beginning i even got my daughter watching it..

wanda for georgia

Lil

Thoughts and prayers to the family. "The Young and the Restless" will never be the same. You will be missed greatly, "Mrs. "C"! May you RIP! You gave the show MANY good years! You played your role very well. I just can't imagine watching it without seeing you! Sad day for me.

Loretta Carter Wayts

RIP Jeanne Cooper, you will be missed and my prayers go to the family. she was a GREAT actress, Young and The Restless will not be the same.

Deb

I will truly miss Mrs. C, been watching since 1974. She is an awesome lady. The Y&R will not be the same without her. My prayers go out to her family. :(

Traci

I had the priviledge of meeting her. She was a real classy lady- You live on in out hearts "Mrs C"

Marie918

I have been watching her since day one. It will not be the same.

maryann hannigan

Your show is really stupid , and so is your staff, Jeanne Cooper is a Legend on Y&R . When you report news good or bad you are cold and heartless about certain topics .. Ms .Jeanne Cooper Passed Away ... Just Sayin , she deserves more respect than to say Jeanne 'Cooper Dead .. Idiots

fanny1

Great lady/actress Love you jeanne! RIP sweet lady

Loretta Carter Wayts

RIP Jeanne Cooper, you will be missed. Young and The Restless will not be the same without you. My prayers go out to the family, LOVE YOU ALWAYS Jeanne

Gail

What a huge loss. Rest in peace.

Celeste

My prayers goes out to her family & the cast , she was a great lady, a great actress, she cannot EVER be replaced as she was the only Mrs. Katherine Chancellor, GOD be with you all!

tremers

RIP

Leah

Oh my goodness, I just got the news. I have been watching Y&R since the beginning. I can't imagine Ms. Cooper being absent from the Y&R cast. She will be sorely missed. Blessings for her family and friends. RIP

Gabe

We enjoyed your fine acting. God Bless and rest in peace.