'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

wanda

My heart goes out to kathern s family she will be missed Y&R won't be the same to see her and jill fights I watched Y& R from the first day it aired and I even got my daughter watching it , again my heart goes out to her family .
wanda from georgia

Marilyn Amorosi

My prayers go out to all family members. I feel like I'm losing my own "grandma" again. Been a Y&R fan for years (yea for DVR's). Jeanne was just such a great actress and could keep us entertained with all of her many roles.

loriann

So sorry to hear this news. Have been watching her on Y&R since 1974. What a great actor. She also did parts on TV Shows I saw ie Big Valley, Perry Mason. I will miss seeing her. Condolences to her family. RIP

jk

I watch every day and it will never be the same....RIP and prayers to her family......

Mark

An Icon and Giant in Daytime TV....can't imagine Y&R without her.

Elizabeth Garcia

RIP MS COOPER>
You will truly be missed :(

Carol

So sad. I hope Y&R aren't stupid enough to recast. There is only 1 Katherine Chancellor. God keep you & your family in His arms.

Elizabeth Garcia

RIP Katherine Chancellor.
You will truly be missed :(
You were one of the best on Y & R..

shelleymay

you will be missed, i was just watching the episode of the last 50 years and how you have changed thru the years but always been a wonderful lady to watch, its like we knew you and believe you were truelly kind even in your own life... may you rest in peace, the show wont be the same without you, give god my love for me.... and hug my isaac for me......

Susie

This is a sad day for day time TV, Mrs. C as she is fondly referred to on and off the show was a beloved face for many of us lifers of Y $ R. Mrs. C also had a face lift in real life and it was written into the show. Rest In Peace Mrs C, forever loved and missed!

Judy

What a sad, sad day! She was one of the characters that made Young and the Restless what it is, and made you want to keep watching it.....May she rest in Peace and may God watch over all who love her and grant them peace in her passing! Love her!

Bunny

I am dedicated fan of Y&R...Everyday Everything stops:don't answer phone but i pay attention to the show...100%..past few days Katherine Chancelor has been ill with a hospitalization and my 6th sense wondered if death was eminate...at time Katherine was gruff on the show but she was a strong indiepent character with a big heart for those she loved.....RIP and thank you for all your appearances on Y&R...they and I will miss you, Jeanne...we would have been great friends as I am 83...we've witnessed the same history.

I-See-Dumb-People

I've only recently gotten into following the story line on Y&R, but have always enjoyed Jeanne's command of the screen through the years when I would catch glimpses of her. RIP

Debbie

I am so sorry to hear of the lost of Ms. Cooper. She was the sharpest women on the show! I loved watching her and seeing what she was going to ware everyday. She was so funny and one of the reasons I enjoy the show so much. She will be missed by many! Blessings to her family.

StarryStarryNight

i scheduled my classes in college around the young and the restless. no recording back then.

bless ms. cooper's soul and her family's hearts!!