'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

princeluvr41

:(((( sad

Elizabeth Garcia

RIP Katherine Chancellor
You will be missed by millions of people.
You were 1 of the best on Y & R
MUCH LOVE :(

kat57

We have lost the last of the classy 'dames' of daytime television.NO one could compare to what she continuously gave to her craft.Catch her on old reruns of Perry Mason,Wagon Train,and a host of others.she was NOT getting feeble in the end-recent interviews will show,she was playing a part,the direction she was asked to go with her character by those in charge,part of a story line.She even bucked at it ,hoping they were not giving Catherine Alzeimer's,because she didn't want that to happen to Catherine-hence,the brain tumor storyline.Amazing,always entertaining,we have lost a REAL actress!

Traci

I had the priviledge of meeting her. She was a real classy lady- She will live on in our hearts - RIP Mrs C

D

You will truly be missed Mrs. C :( May you rest in peace.

LINDA PRUETT

REST IN PEACE MRS.C.......I HAVE SPENT THE LAST 40 YEARS WITH YOU AND HAVE RAISED MY ENTIRE FAMILY WATCHING YOU ON Y & R...THEY ALL STILL WATCH...DEEPEST CONDOLENCES...YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!

Ed

RIP "Mrs. Chancellor." My ex and I watched this show for over 20 years. Love the show and the great cast. Loved her. Out of respect I hope the writers dont try to replace her.

Ed

RIP "Mrs. Chancellor". She was great. Love the show. Watched it for years. Great cast.

DrDnDC

She was an icon for Y&R...so sorry to hear of her passing...RIP Ms. Cooper....

My Body

Oh, I'm gonna miss Jean Cooper (Kay). She definitely was a significant character on Y&R. I hate to think that she will not be on the show anymore. RIP Jean, may God bless you and welcome you in.

Joanne

I have watched Jeanne Cooper on YR since it's beginning in 1973. I have also seen her in TV shows, such as, Marshall Dillon..
What a pretty lady and good actress.

Sheena

I am so sorry about the death of Ms Cooper....She was a wonderful actress..I have been watching Y&R sense it first aired and am still watching....May God bring comfort to her family in only a way he can....

marie

Although I gave up soaps a few years ago - I loved "Ms.CHancellor".Truly a class act and a classy lady. You will be missed but RIP, your job here is done.

Tinny

Rest in Peace Duchess you were my favorite of all times, Missing you already, tears will be truly flowing as i watch my soaps today! RIP

My Body