'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Bradley

Jeanne Cooper (AKA) Katherine Chancellor,
You rest in peace now and know that you will be truly missed by all and many. You came in to our homes, and became a part of our families, females and males alike. Your character was a talk around water coolers, beauty salons, groceries stores and even doctors offices, etc. We, (your fans) will miss you with all of our hearts and you are one of the major actors, (players) that made, "The Young and the Restless," what it is today.
We "love" you...
"Death can not kill, what never dies," and Katherine Chancellor will live on forever in "The Young and the Restless."
Godspeed Kaye,
Bradley

Tracy

RIP Such a great lady!

joanna

RIP, you will be missed.

Barb in Ft Myers, FL

So, so sad. I feel like I have lost a member of my own family. Well, I've been watching Y&R for 40 years, I've gone through quite a lot with Katherine ...Wow. What a lady. She will be truly missed. PLEASE do not replace her....She and Victor and Nicki can never truly be replaced.
RIP Mrs C. Love and Sympathy to your family, co-stars, and all my fellow loyal Y&R watchers ... I'm sure we all share the same feelings of grief.

Susan

She will be dearly missed,,,I cried too. She was quite the LADY!

Susan

She will be dearly missed,,,I cried too. She was quite the LADY!

may12553

We loved you Jeanne......you will be deeply missed. Rest peacefully.........

Laura

No! Y&R will never be the same as there is no one like Mrs. Chancellor. RIP Jeanne and my prayers to her family. I feel like she is part of my family as I have watched her since the show started.

Olivia

Ms. Cooper was a class act and will live on forever in our hearts. We love you catherine

Barbara

Ms Cooper was the royalty of the soap opera world. She will be missed very much. She has given us all a world of delight as Kay Chancellor and now she plays her role in heaven. RIP

Lisa

My condolences to the family.

may12553

Rest peacefully Jeanne......you will be greatly missed.

Pat Shaw

Jeanne Cooper was the thread that kept Y&R so meaningful. I am heartbroken. I was privileged to meet her on the set many years ago, and she was so gracious and warm. She will be sorely missed. I turn 80 this year and most of us at this age would have given anything to be as beautiful and glamorous as she was. My condolences to her very talented offspring. RIP, Katherine...

thinkingperson

How sad. Rest, now, Jeanne - you've earned it!

Marcia B. Cohen

What a shock. We just saw you on the program on Monday. We will miss you terribly. I even remember buying your jewelry on one of the shopping channels.
May God welcome you in His kingdom. RIP