'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Marcia B. Cohen

What a shock. We just saw you on the program on Monday. We will miss you terribly. I even remember buying your jewelry on one of the shopping channels.
May God welcome you in His kingdom. RIP

Olivia3100

My most sincere condolences. Rest in peace.

Maria

RIP. I watched her as a little girl. She was terrific!

Dee

Goodbye, Duchess. Thank you for all of the years of entertaining drama in my livingroom. :(

debbie- Butler, Wi

Rest in Peace Jeanne. My condolences to your family and friends. The Young and The Restless won't be the same without you.

Susan

Nene sucks...please make her go away...far away..and the rich bitch can take her money with her, She won't have it for long....and please get rid of the phucking blond wig! You look like chit!

ilar

I only watched regularly while in college when the show first premiered but I've tuned in from time to time over the years and followed Ms. Cooper's career. She was a great actress and will be missed. R.I.P. and my condolences to her family.

Renae

She will be sadly missed in Gen. City. Whom ever they replace her with will not be the same :*( RIP Duchess. My prayers go out to her loved ones.

eatahabanero

wow just read this morning she was out of ICU and talking now she is gone. Well Duchess you have us so many wonderful memories just go ahead and rest in peace.

soushee

Jeanne Cooper was a "class act". She wasn't afraid to go anywhere in her acting abilities - very real and believable. She was the backbone of Y&R. She will be genuinely missed. My condolences to her family. :'(

Maggie50

RIP Catherine. The Y & R will never be the same. You have been a fixture in my home for nearly 40 years and it will certainly seem empty without you.

Bradley

Jeanne Cooper (AKA) Katherine Chancellor,
You rest in peace now and know that you will be truly missed by all and many. You came in to our homes, and became a part of our families, females and males alike. Your character was a talk around water coolers, beauty salons, groceries stores and even doctors offices, etc. We, (your fans) will miss you with all of our hearts and you are one of the major actors, (players) that made, "The Young and the Restless," what it is today.
We "love" you...
"Death can not kill, what never dies," and Katherine Chancellor will live on forever in "The Young and the Restless."
Godspeed Kaye,
Bradley

Dianna Miller

She was so good in the Young & The Restless! It won't be the same. I have watched this show for 40 years.Prayers & Love goes out to her family!

Eddie Salgado

RIP Jeanne Cooper, I'm truly shocked and saddened by her untimely Death, may her soul rest in peace, she will forever be missed Y&R wont be the same without her :'(

Dee

I am deeply sorry to hear of Ms. Coopers passing. Please do not attempt to replace her because it would be impossible. She was a wonderful actress, funny, kooky and charming. I would love to have been one of her pals!