Barbara Walters

Callin' It Quits in 2014

5/13/2013 4:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

051313_barbara_walters_view_launchBarbara Walters is hanging up her microphone in 2014 after 37 years with ABC News, the network announced Sunday night.

Walters -- who will hand down the official word Monday morning on "The View" -- will continue to work on that show, and her various other news projects, through next summer.

In a statement, Walters said, "I am very happy with my decision and look forward to a wonderful and special year ahead both on 'The View' and with ABC News."

She continued, "I created 'The View' and am delighted it will last beyond my leaving it."

Walters had a health scare in January when she suffered a cut on her forehead after falling on a stair. Rumors of Walters' retirement have been swirling for months, but she had consistently brushed them off.

0328_barbara_walters_through_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

UNLEVINED HARVEY

she will go on to make depends commercials

tilly

She is way past her prime. Whenever anyone of import has their name mentioned she jumps in with the fact she interviewed them and once again makes the subject about HER. She is tiresome in her plugs for herself. All the pictures of her around the back are a joke. She sure did pick the best! She is so full of herself. I am a senior but know when to bow out gracefully. She is too late.

SensibleSense

She has been fooling us with her resignation rumors for the last twenty years. Someone please fire this sanctimonious narcissist.

RealNewspls

Harry Reasoner can finally RIP

Jamoak

Wonder if she still puts out...

justin

who will the producers of the view find to fill the irrelevant, self-important curmudgeon role?

linda

No need to do a tribute show. She did a tribute show to herself in just making the announcement! Way overdue. She has become so annoying. With Joy leaving, that leaves Whoopi, who is fantastic, Sherri is as dumb as a box of rocks, and who should never be included in the food segments, she is disgusting, shoving food in her mouth and talking at the same time. Acts like she hasn't eaten it weeks, and then there is Hasslebeck, the other half of Dumb(Sherri) and Dumber, the most ignorant, brainwashed idiot of them all.

Rita29

I’m bummed to hear that Barbara Walters is leaving the View and ABC News after 37 years. It’s good to hear she’ll still be contributing to the View through next summer though. I was at work at DISH when she made this announcement on the View but didn’t miss it. I’ve been recording this whole season and have room for more because my DISH Hopper can record and store up to 2,000 hours of entertainment. With this I can keep my favorite Barbara Walters episodes without having to delete anything else.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5