Dr. Joyce Brothers

Famous TV Psychologist

Dead at 85

5/13/2013 3:11 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0513_joyce_brothers_getty_article2Dr. Joyce Brothers -- once considered the most famous psychologist on the planet -- has died in NYC at the age of 85.

Brothers became famous after winning "The $64,000 Question" game show in 1955 -- the show that triggered the game show scandal in the '50s.

Brothers won by answering a series of questions on the subject of boxing -- and although there was a lot of talk that producers slipped her the answers, it was never proven and Brothers emerged unscathed.

The good doc went on to do countless television and radio appearances. She was always the go-to person for reporters when a criminal did something that defied logic.

She also did cameo appearances in movies -- including "Naked Gun" ... and also appeared on TV shows like "C.H.i.P.s" and "The Love Boat."

Brothers was married to internist Milton Brothers since 1949 ... he died in 1989 ... and the couple had a daughter, Lisa.

She had her own relationships advice TV show in New York by 1958 ... and her books have been translated into 26 different languages.

A rep for Brothers tells us she died after a long illness.

0513_joyce_brothers_remembering_footer

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Long before she was a "tv" Psychologist, she was and remained a respected psychologist, period. Her insights into the human mind are just as revered as Karl Menninger or Sigmund Freud.

Many people discount her out of hand just because she appeared on tv, but her work pretty much shut them all up.

I hope she rests in peace.

Elizabeth

Dr Joyce was a great lady and had quite the sense of humour if I remember, back in her television days.. I thought that she was awesome, and I'll miss her..

OhSoLittleMouse

PLEASE don't EVER photoshop her head onto a clown costume.

myopinion

RIP Dr. Joyce Brothers

mr.howell

I remember her from being on ALL all the talk shows when I was a kid..but I always felt her advice was a little too 'simplistic' to be useful,advice from a 10 year old could be just as helpful..still RIP..she lived to a good age.

moxie

RIP Dr. Joyce!

Anonymous

"Hey! Dr. Joyce Brothers! Flick that sweatball off your nose! Whaddya tryin' to do, make me sick?!?"

- Roseanne Roseannadanna

James R. - Los Angeles

No great loss.

Nanny

She had amazing wit and was a strong, opinionated and intelligent woman who was way ahead of her time! Long live this lovely lady's memory!

jane

I think she deserves a shout out , bless her heart.
R.I.P. Doctor J Brothers , I hope life was as fun for u as u made it for us !! U lightened things up.Rest Easy

Anne

I was so sorry to hear about Dr. Joyce Brothers has passed away. I hope that she RIP now and always.

Smoke Greens

how dare TMZ post a picture of the corpse already!!

BelieveNme

She looks like a corpse in that picture

Jenny

Going to be miss

Cathy Miller

I was very saddened when I heard the news. My prayers and thoughts are with you. Please let me know anything I can do for you to help you cope with this difficult situation. I will always be there for you. Be strong. Please accept my sincere condolence.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3