Angelina Jolie

I Had a Double Mastectomy

5/14/2013 5:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0513_angelina_jolie_01Angelina Jolie underwent a double mastectomy procedure -- the removal of both of her breasts -- in order to minimize her risk of breast cancer ... the actress revealed.

Jolie penned an op-ed published in the New York Times, in which she reveals, "Doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer."

She continues, "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive."

37-year-old Jolie says she completed the 3 months of medical procedures on April 27. She will continue to document her experience on the website for the Pink Lotus Breast Center, where she was (and still is being) treated.

The PLBC has treated stars like Sheryl Crow and Shannon Tweed.

"I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive," Jolie writes.

"For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options."

0513_angelina_jolie_through_footer

karebear3003

I guess some will do anything for publicity. Seems to me that a decision such as this should be kept private. She didn't have cancer, she wasn't suffering from some hideous disease. She made a choice to undergo major surgery knowing full well it would get into the media. I really hate these celebrities that do this and then expect everybody to fall down around them in gratitude because they did something so wonderful. This was nothing more than a publicity stunt to keep her face in the media. Shame.

Johnny

Okay that's smart preventive medicine, Now so you won't get Ovarian cancer remove that ***** so you cannot infest the world with anymore stupid kids?

Stateville1991

Hmmm.....Now, she'll just have 'New & Bigger' ones inserted. She should have 'Gotten Rid Of' those nasty, 'Gangster/Skankster' Tattoos while she was at it!

cobrazombie

Brave woman.

Lynn

While I would probably do the same (I'm a survivor with no family history) mastectomy versus lumpectomy does not even guarantee no reoccurances.

Pnut

I would do the same thing as Angelina. Better safe than sorry. She is a beautiful woman, wonderful mother, terrific actress and a good role model. I appreciate these qualities in a woman. God Bless you Angelina. Get well soon. Pnut

Lynn

While I would probably do the same (I'm a survivor with no family history) mastectomy versus lumpectomy does not even guarantee no reoccurance. Its all a crap shoot

mwood

personal business no ones business

Glynn

To JRNYGIRL: You are WRONG about your comment of insurance covering genetic testing and the cost. The average cost of genetic testing is not $300 -it is between $1,000 - $5,000. Insurance companies cover if, and not always, if there is a family history. You stated that insurance companies would rather pay for a chosen mastectomy rather than cancer treatment - in a perfect world - yes - but cancer treatment is big business and there is sadly a lot of money to be made on treatment for both insurance companies and doctors/hospitals.

PurpleGranny

Kudus to Angelina....sharing this will give a lot of women valuable information options, and courage too.

Will always LOVE RJ

HAHAHAHAA....she wont be WHORING around topless in movies anymore

Rio West

Stupid beyond belief. Mastectomy is not an option when you do not "have" cancer. Let's just start cutting out body parts because you might get cancer. Nuts!!!

chazz

God bless and your courage may help others! I lost my wife to breast cancer. Thank you for helping to educate and understand!

herbert o. sontz

Kudoes to Ms. Jolie.
Her decision to proceed was smart. Her decision to discuss it publicly was was extraordinary.
Her actions contribute mightily to the realization that we are defined by our actions and not by mere physical characteristics.
Magnificent!

S. Boyce

Angelina Jolie is one of my most favorite people in the world. She is such a wonderful and giving humanitarian in this world, and I wish her all the best with her health and hope she has a long and good life.