Angelina Jolie

I Had a Double Mastectomy

5/14/2013 5:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0513_angelina_jolie_01Angelina Jolie underwent a double mastectomy procedure -- the removal of both of her breasts -- in order to minimize her risk of breast cancer ... the actress revealed.

Jolie penned an op-ed published in the New York Times, in which she reveals, "Doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer."

She continues, "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive."

37-year-old Jolie says she completed the 3 months of medical procedures on April 27. She will continue to document her experience on the website for the Pink Lotus Breast Center, where she was (and still is being) treated.

The PLBC has treated stars like Sheryl Crow and Shannon Tweed.

"I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive," Jolie writes.

"For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options."

0513_angelina_jolie_through_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Your mom

87%, wow it was basically a matter of when not so much if. Good for her being proactive.

Roman

Wow. Even more beautiful in my eyes now.

RedwoodPerch

Billions of dollars spent on medical research and this is the way cancer has to be defeated. Sad.

Gridiron

Wow. Pretty scary and sobering. Not that ANYONE deserves cancer, but of all the idiots in Hollywood going around willfully killing themselves with drugs and alcohol, why does it always seem like major health issues always seem to strike the more likeable celebs? Thoughts and best wishes are with her.

Bobo Frog

A very uninformed decision driven by fear, and a wholly unnecessary procedure.

Loraleigh

Good for her! She is a Life lottery winner!

Crimson Fart

Wish you and your family all the best, Angelina.

YungOne

and all y'all mutha fudgers were begging to know when she was getting married. She had bigger things to worry about.

Mick Kahler

Great pro-active move for Angelina and any other women with breast cancer in their heredity. All the best to her!

Luke

I'm kind of torn on this issue. My sister and several female friends have endured breast cancer and one had to undergo a Double Mastectomy. But I can't help but think this is like, never driving again because of the odds of getting into a car accident. How did this conversation go in the Doctors office? "Oh, I MIGHT develop Breast Cancer?.. take them off." Wow.. This is just dumb. DUMB. Thumb me down all you want. If a doctor told me I have a high risk of developing Testicular Cancer.. He is NOT cutting the twins off as a "preventive procedure". SHE WASN'T SICK!! Who's to say she would've developed Breast Cancer anyway? She shouldn't be praised, she needs to to have her head examined.

Ace

Poor Brad.

TheTruth

Total BS! There is no way for any doctor to pre-determine that a woman has an 87% chance of breast cancer. Total BS! Another medical scam. Poor thing mutilated herself for nothing but an opinion. Let's talk about hysterectomies, gall bladders, PSA, cholesterol, tonsils, joint replacements, and others. All medical cash cows. And before anyone says I don't know what I'm talking about, I am a physician. Anyone that thinks medicine is about your health then you are extremely naive. It's a business to make money.

msteve

I think its wonderful that she put her children and her health first and decided to undergo surgery. I am glad that she is opening up about this to spread awareness the only thing that needs to happen now is a REAL health care bill that would help people not in her position of money and fame to receive treatment. Too many people in America are dying when they could have had preventable help.

72183

I lost my aunt to breast cancer! It is the deadliest disease! You just watch your loved one go though so much pain and agony that it is sickening. I went to the hospital to see her as she only had her heart left as the only organ working. She was still talking

Chad

I wish you and your family the best and you have my support. I wish you health and strength

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments