O.J. Simpson

Takes the Stand --

My Ex-Lawyer Screwed Me

5/15/2013 1:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

051513_oj_launch

O.J. Simpson took the stand today in his bid for a new trial, begging the judge to give him a second shot in the 2007 armed robbery case that landed him in prison ... because he believes his old lawyer Yale Galanter screwed him over.

O.J. is currently serving a 33-year prison sentence after being convicted of armed robbery and a bunch of other charges stemming from the September 13th, 2007 incident ... when he stormed into a Vegas hotel room, flanked by several men, and robbed a bunch of sports memorabilia from two collectors. He believes the items in question had been stolen from him.

O.J. has claimed Galanter knew about his plan to retrieve the memorabilia from the 2 memorabilia collectors ... and advised O.J. not to take the stand in his defense so he wouldn't name Galanter as a witness.

During his testimony today, a relaxed-looking O.J. explained that Galanter also failed to keep him informed about a plea deal that would have gotten him out of prison in a few years ... rather than 33.

Had he known he stood a chance of being convicted, O.J. said he would have insisted on testifying ... and definitely would have taken the plea deal if he knew about it. But O.J. said Galanter repeatedly assured him he would never be convicted.

As for the incident itself -- O.J. admitted he'd been drinking beforehand ... but he wasn't "fall-down" drunk. He also said he had no knowledge that a gun was used in any way during the incident.

O.J. said he believed he was legally entitled to do what he did at the time because he didn't do anything his lawyer told him not to do -- i.e. breaking in, or using force.

To prove Galanter was aware of the plan to retrieve the items from the hotel room, O.J. said Galanter had specifically requested one of the items for himself ... an old suit.

And there's this ... O.J. said Galanter only showed him a portion of the audio recorded during the hotel incident, the same audio TMZ posted back in 2007.

Simpson was famously grilled on the stand in the 1996 civil trial when he was found liable for killing Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman -- but he's never spoken under oath in a criminal case. This was a first.
0515_OJ_STAND

karlew

F*CK YOU TMZ!!!!!! If I wanted to see or hear this sh*t I'd click on the story. But, no!!!! In your infinite stupidity and greed you force this crap on me by having the audio on when I come to your main page. I then have to wait for the page to load before I can scroll to the story and mute the sound. See ya later, I'll be back when you stop forcing me to look at or hear this murderous fool defend his pathetic self.

Lucky_130

I swear, some of you people out there act as if OJ went into a movie theater or a school and shot the place up. That whole stupid double murder mix up was a long long long time ago, and The Juice was still skinny. The Juice has learned his lesson, FREE OJ SIMPSON!!!

RaBBiT

A part of living is forgiving.

ronald c sondergaard

money buys you a lot of lawyer time

erkg

First off why is it coming up now and not years ago - wonder why Shapiro's not handling it - remember OJ needs to be out so he can find Nicole's killer -

HLyWDgreg

TMZ! your site sucks the big one, can't like or dislike anything, at least I can comment and reply. WTF?

Louis

I don’t like OJ. In my heart of hearts; I know OJ cut off Nicole Simpson’s head in a jealous rage, and that he stabbed Ron Goldman to death for cuckolding OJ. At heart, OJ is a dumb venial brut.
But, in OJ’s armed robbery/kidnapping case; OJ was railroaded by his own defense council! I’ve heard about 100 instances in OJ’s unadorned testimony today, where Yale Galanter bullied everyone on OJ’s defense team to get OJ the maximum guilty sentence.

Joi

Since he got away with MURDER, he needs to go to jail for something. Let him rot in prison.

Liz

It is eerie that OJ and Jodi Arias share the same birthday (July 9). Maybe they can be pen pals.

Celebrities Suck

OJ KARMA reached at your door.... He got away with murder when he killed his ex wife and ron goldman..

Heidi

He seems to be very honest, sincere & genuine on the stand......

rosa

Im not a fan of OJ. He should have been convicted of the proper crime of murder. This just seems like a big set up and OJ took the bait. Should he pay for this crime sure. I'm not sure that the amount was right though. The guy who did the secret recording to sold the tapes to TIMZ & more money from other stuff. Then turns tapes over to the prosecution & gets immunity. Its almost like he was sentenced for his previous crime. I think the system was wrong twice when it came to this man. 1st time Nicole's murder trial, Guilty 2nd Robbery, Set up.

HLyWDgreg

Of course he's saying he'd take a plea deal now after spending 4+ years in jail. His bid for a new trial is as dumb as his crime.

jordii

This guy will never take ownership of his behaviour. Waste of space.

river rat

And you brutally murdered two people, one of which was the mother of your children!