Ray Manzarek

'Doors' Founding Member

Dead at 74

5/20/2013 3:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0520-ray-manzarek-getty
Ray Manzarek -- who co-founded "The Doors" with Jim Morrison in 1965 and played keyboard -- has died, this according to the band's official Facebook page.

Manzarek was 74.

According to the website, Manzarek passed away today at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer.

At the time of his death, Ray was surrounded by his wife Dorothy and his brothers Rick and James.

Along with Jim ... Ray and The Doors churned out some of the most iconic rock songs in history -- including, "L.A. Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire."

Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger released a statement saying, "I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek."

He added, "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

According to the band's official Facebook page ... Ray's family has asked that in lieu of flowers, fans should make an in memoriam donation in Ray's name to Standup2cancer.org.

R.I.P.

Today on TMZ Live, Harvey reminisced about the time he met Ray 15 years ago -- and completely embarrassed himself in the process. Really funny story.

052013_harvey_ray_tmzlive_launch

0520_ray_manzarek_remembering_footer

Mario

RIP

tlmax

rip he also produced X's los angeles and played organ on it

Jeff

I will miss his interviews. He always had so much to say.

Lucky_130

Oh man, thats my favorite organist/keyboardist, and favorite band of ALL time. I love you Ray, RIP

namers

"Break on through to the other side."

R.I.P.

dreamer4u

RIP Ray..you were a definite class act!!! This is the end..my friend..

Ghoster

Stop the presses. This is a confirmed Hoax!

Marlena

"Break On Through to the Other Side...
R.I.P

jcrouse

He finally broke on through to the other side! RIP!

Dan Frederiksen

When old people who are not famous die, it's not celebrity news..

USA#1

R.I.P. sir

Mike

I suspect Ray Manzarek is sitting around a campfire on a beach in rock star heaven smoking a big hog leg joint with Jim Morrison and they're talking about life, death, philosophies, music, etc.

RIP Ray !

Michel

Ray was such a true gentleman... And he LIVED ! So happy I saw him live 4 times and met him once. He signed 3 "The Doors" items for me... Heaven just got another angel... rock on Ray !

John

The Doors were one of the finest bands that ever played. They gave us some of the best songs that are as strong today as they were when they first came out. Thanks for some great music. Rest in Peace Ray.

Blonde Ambition

When the music's over ...