Ray Manzarek

'Doors' Founding Member

Dead at 74

5/20/2013 3:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0520-ray-manzarek-getty
Ray Manzarek -- who co-founded "The Doors" with Jim Morrison in 1965 and played keyboard -- has died, this according to the band's official Facebook page.

Manzarek was 74.

According to the website, Manzarek passed away today at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer.

At the time of his death, Ray was surrounded by his wife Dorothy and his brothers Rick and James.

Along with Jim ... Ray and The Doors churned out some of the most iconic rock songs in history -- including, "L.A. Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire."

Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger released a statement saying, "I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek."

He added, "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

According to the band's official Facebook page ... Ray's family has asked that in lieu of flowers, fans should make an in memoriam donation in Ray's name to Standup2cancer.org.

R.I.P.

Today on TMZ Live, Harvey reminisced about the time he met Ray 15 years ago -- and completely embarrassed himself in the process. Really funny story.

052013_harvey_ray_tmzlive_launch

0520_ray_manzarek_remembering_footer

Obbop

This marvelous wondrous days in LA are well-remembered as is the time spent with the old gang.

And may your journey also be marvelous and wondrous, RM.

dave rodke

Ray,noooooo

Dave

Break on through, Ray! R.I.P.

Carlos G

"Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as ravens claws."-Jim Morrison

J.M.

RIP Ray,you were one of the greats!!!

scott

that man jammed to limit until the very end....it didnt matter if it was a bar or a large venue he gave it everything....the taj in atlantic city was one of the best shows i ever.....rowdy too...

michael manisero

R.I.P :(

RPH

A lot of rockers just made noise. Ray was a real musician and an exceptionally good keyboard player. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

t4trble

RIP Ray. Now go join Jim on the other side! xoxox

william

The world has lost a rock ledgen.One of the greatest keyboaboardests ,who alwayes played from the soul. He held then toghether in the darkest of times.HE WILL be missed.

sophie

RIP The Doors Ray Manzarek. His wife was always by his side. Read more about Dorothy Manzarek here:

sophie

OH NO!

This is now being reported as a HOAX.

usmaels1

I was driving a car for the very first time, that was my Mom's car.... I had snuck it out when my parents went out. I had The Doors music recorded off the radio with the microphone for one of those now vintage recorders with the 4 buttons on them. At the time, this was sort of a state of the art cassette tape method used by man kids my age to have tunes to listen to. A fellow buddy had been sneaking his Mom's car out and it was ''my turn''. Well...it was a 1963 Pontiac Tempest...the car that ended up being the GTO....and I ROLLED IT ON AN S-CURVE...probably going around 100 mph. (I was just getting started on the gas peddle...lol) I lived in Kansas at the time, and I ran away to Haight (sp?) Ashbury in San Francisco. As soon as I got there, I turned chicken and called my big Sister and she helped bail me out of the mess. True story. I can still vividly remember the car finally coming to a stop...and I was sitting in it upside down. Seat belts were a relatively new item at the time, and I somehow had the thought to put mine on. Right after I said...''oh sh&t''...I released it and fell on my head. I crawled out and sit about 100 feet from the car in case it blew up. I heard the police sirens, ambulance, fire truck, etc in the distance and knew where they were going. I remained hidden and when I figured out they were searching for me...I snuck off and ran my azzzz off until I was far away. It was my Tom Sawyer moment. I got on the highway, stuck my thumb out...and did not stop until I got to California. Thank God I never stayed there...but I was probably lucky the crash did not kill me.

Daniel Lewis

R.I.P. Brother Ray Manzarek (1939 - 2013)