Ray Manzarek

'Doors' Founding Member

Dead at 74

5/20/2013 3:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0520-ray-manzarek-getty
Ray Manzarek -- who co-founded "The Doors" with Jim Morrison in 1965 and played keyboard -- has died, this according to the band's official Facebook page.

Manzarek was 74.

According to the website, Manzarek passed away today at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer.

At the time of his death, Ray was surrounded by his wife Dorothy and his brothers Rick and James.

Along with Jim ... Ray and The Doors churned out some of the most iconic rock songs in history -- including, "L.A. Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire."

Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger released a statement saying, "I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek."

He added, "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

According to the band's official Facebook page ... Ray's family has asked that in lieu of flowers, fans should make an in memoriam donation in Ray's name to Standup2cancer.org.

R.I.P.

Today on TMZ Live, Harvey reminisced about the time he met Ray 15 years ago -- and completely embarrassed himself in the process. Really funny story.

052013_harvey_ray_tmzlive_launch

0520_ray_manzarek_remembering_footer

Dr. Cornelia J. Dogbarker PhD

Ray and I go way back. Sad to hear.....

helmut

In the earlier 70th, people made kind of " thanksgiving days" for their homegrown goods. I was 14 when I heard there first time The DOORS Album " Morisson Hotel". Lying beside the speaker,. I was just taken away by that unconventional sound with its deep message that could bring all together, what fell or was taken apart. I was very inspired by Jims shamans music" and as a keyboardist I/ we covered several Doors songs later. I still play today sometimes "light me fire" or "when the music`s over" (the only doors song my group at that time ( 1970- 74) was performing live until the new US/isr. led bigotic political spy organisations in Germany could get me again "out of business(of course a live long never ending fight) for the next ten years ( what created some story around me being similar to Jim).. Doors music is like no other some kind of spontanous improvisation on a perfectly ingoing theme with these special kind of indian rythms . To my other surprise, Ray manzarek died just some hundred meters away from the place near Rosenheim where I was living for 10 years. That`s near to the village "Rohrdorf" where Julius Hackethal has his cancer clinic. When beeing persued by the state I learned gardener to earn money and to stay alive and i also worked in hacktheals Clinique for a while and cut his roses.Hackethal himself died around 1990 but his method of transplantation is one of the few that sometimes helps against cancer. However I lost the place there in 1990. Now I am in Munich If I would have still been there, I would have surely been glad to meet Ray Manzarek and have a good time with him.
Helmut Germany

"Indians scattered on dawn`s highway- ghost crowd the young child`s fragile eggshell mind" (J Morissonand Doors/ "Peace frog"

we will meet again!

Suju and 2NE1 fangirl

Akira Productions

Here is our random run-in comedy interview with Ray Manzarek at the 40th anniversary of Woodstock at Golden Gate Park http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS1mP9iDWoo

Bu

RIP RAY...What a talent!

Mike

Words don't come easy when a true music legend dies. The Doors would simply have never been if not for Ray. Ray's passing is a great loss to the music world and a great loss to the world at large as well. RIP Ray, and condolences to your family and friends the world over.

wim anholts

Ray,

the best organ player i have ever heard.

rest i peace

mr.howell

Sad news, he was a great,I liked the group,they had a rawness to their music..RIP.

helmut

Most people just consume DOORS music just like eating Hamburger or watching television but do never understand what it was all about. Morisson wanted maybe a spiritual revolution, but the US public thought he was a communist state enemy or whatever. He did not like cruelties and war That is why he left his family, likely ashamed of his father who was an professional soldier- and said from then on in interviews: " I have no family, I have no father " American public ( lets say police or so rather VIP persons)however DESTROYED the DOORS just after not more than 2 years performing FOR NOTHING or for what reason? They accused Jim for felony ("simulation of masturbation on the stage.- in real he simulated masturbation with his micoprophon, what was for them the same.. They wanted to sentence him to 10 - 20 years prison with enforced labor just like in Russia , That is why Jim M had to emigrate to Paris where he strangely died or dissapeared. Just luckily the DOORs had made all of their everliving music in these few years.. Now its just like he said:"people want heroes they can love eor punish as they want" .shame on your bigots, America !
" television children dead unborn living living dead Bullet strikes their helmet`s head" ( Doors: unknown soldier)

D. Verhoof

When The Music's Over...

Please Ray, Ask the people if they really saw snakes (of Jim) way back in LA, or that they have to admit that they just pretended then..

jj

God give us Jim and ray back and you can have Justin beiber.!

jj

Rip ray. Best band ever!! God give us Jim and ray. You can have Justin beiber !

Michael Smith

The Door is NOW Closed

Michael Smith

The Door is now closed.

Philo Beddoe

May 17, 1967 (Wednesday)
Grover Cleveland High School Gym
Reseda, California

DETAILS

NOTES:
The Doors perform at Grover Cleveland High School in Reseda, CA.

According to student Robin Kosek in The Valley News: "The low rate of absences on Wednesday probably had a lot to do with the fact that The Doors paid its long awaited visit that day during sixth period. The strong student support received by this, Cleveland's first pay assembly, strongly indicates that similar assemblies will be held in future semesters."

Julie Westermeier remembers: "The concert was great except for the ever inebriated Jim Morrison, whose performance was severely affected. So much so that our principal, Miss Hoeffer, had to stop the concert at one point, give him and the band a warning about unsavory behavior and language and wound up having a verbal match with him at the end of the concert too. Morrison was in his soon-to-be-usual rebellious form, and called our principal some very choice names. For a very nice and upperclass high school, this was a public first, that should not have occurred."

Who says TMZ and Harvey makes stuff up?!? Wish I coulda been there for that one.....