Ray Manzarek

'Doors' Founding Member

Dead at 74

5/20/2013 3:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0520-ray-manzarek-getty
Ray Manzarek -- who co-founded "The Doors" with Jim Morrison in 1965 and played keyboard -- has died, this according to the band's official Facebook page.

Manzarek was 74.

According to the website, Manzarek passed away today at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer.

At the time of his death, Ray was surrounded by his wife Dorothy and his brothers Rick and James.

Along with Jim ... Ray and The Doors churned out some of the most iconic rock songs in history -- including, "L.A. Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire."

Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger released a statement saying, "I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek."

He added, "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

According to the band's official Facebook page ... Ray's family has asked that in lieu of flowers, fans should make an in memoriam donation in Ray's name to Standup2cancer.org.

R.I.P.

Today on TMZ Live, Harvey reminisced about the time he met Ray 15 years ago -- and completely embarrassed himself in the process. Really funny story.

052013_harvey_ray_tmzlive_launch

0520_ray_manzarek_remembering_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Lilady927

RIP!

amandajf

This is the end, beautiful friend...

whateveryou

The great thing about it? Ray lived before he died. That's how I look at it when someone goes. Can't help but question did they make the most of it? Think for themselves & enjoy it? From what I've read of his life, I think Ray clearly did. & that's the best thing anyone can ask for. A happy interesting life. RIP

moxie

This is so sad for Doors' fans, of which I am one.
RIP Ray!!!

Mario

RIP legend

noneya

He'll be jamming with Jim tonight!

CN

Thanks for the great music. RIP.

NRKee

The best organ solo ever. http://youtu.be/3XzHotB5-To

RIP Ray Manzarek

Megadeth

Rest in peace, Ray, I was lucky enough to meet you in 2004, a dream come true!

spectator72

R.I.P Mr. Manzarek

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again
Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free

laaaa

Did he... break on through.... to the other side? Too soon?

Keyser Söze

RIP Manzarek - another great one who left us for a better place,

BellaBoo

Bummer. R.I.P.

TheMachine1

It would be nice if Jim comes out of hiding and attends Ray's funeral.

HillbillyHell