Ray Manzarek

Legendary Rock Club

Honoring Doors Death

5/20/2013 3:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0520-wiskey-a-go-go-tmz
It's the kind of memorial rock stars dream of ... famed Sunset Strip nightclub Whisky a Go Go -- where The Doors got their start back in the 60s -- will be honoring Ray Manzarek on its marquee for the rest of the week, TMZ has learned.

A rep for the famed rock club tells us, the marquee memorial will stay up tonight through Saturday -- and every show in the meantime will be dedicated in Manzarek's honor.

The rep says the club will also be briefly "going dark" tonight at 8pm in remembrance.

As we reported, Manzarek -- one of the founding members of the iconic rock band -- passed away today following a long battle with bile duct cancer. He was 74.

The Doors were playing as the house band at the Whisky -- opening for acts like Van Morrison -- when a record exec discovered them and gave the band their first big record deal.

update_bar
3:55 PM PT -- The Roxy -- another famous Sunset Strip rock club -- has beat the Whisky to the punch ... already erecting its own marquee in Manzarek's honor.

0520-tmz-the-roxy

keepinitrealincali

I was a small child during The Doors heyday and even listening to their music then and could not comprehend, I knew I was listening to something special. I always liked Ray's interview-- an intelligent man. Didn't know he was just two years younger than my mom. Damn! RIP Ray, you were one of the great ones and will be missed by legions of Doors fans.

B94jz6

Ray M and Felix Cavalier (The Rascals) who both played Keyboards also played bass for the band with their left hand. Both bands Doors & Rascals did not a bass player in the band. Amazing..find that today..

LAPartyMcSage

Ray isn't the only one gone. Good music is too. It's gotten so bad that the Whiskey has had to resort to Craigslist ads to find hot new acts that don't exist.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

The End. Rest in melody.

Marie

So sad... RIP...

jj

The Doors were the greatest band of all time. RIP

helen

Can't help but think, no one gave a fk while he was alive..and Iits tmz?

ben a

The fact you didn't know who Ray was shows you are the ******* we all thought you were.. Stick to tabloid trash and leave the facts to Rock and Roll.

MadCharles

Because of you RIP from divebomber.org

Dennis Johnson

R.IP. Ray.I use to see Ray there with Johnny Rivers way back in the day.Man....I had many a great time at the Whisky A GO GO.If I remember correctly.........LOL

Spanky

I love The Doors!! Thanks for the amazing music. RIP Ray.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2