Jane Lynch

'I'm Kind of an Atheist'

5/28/2013 6:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

052813_jane_lynch_launch
If you sneeze around Jane Lynch, the "Glee" star will MOST LIKELY say "God Bless You" ... which is odd because the actress tells TMZ she's "kind of an atheist."

Just to review ...

"Atheist" = person who doesn't believe in any sort of a god.

"God Bless You" = thing you traditionally say when someone sneezes, in hopes you can convince a supernatural being to "bless" someone who just fired snot out of their nostrils at breakneck speed.

Anyway, this weekend in NYC, Jane told us WHY she still throws the G-word around when someone sneezes ... check it out.

Michaela

Ahem....it's 'Atheist' - not 'Athiest'

Boogie Onerism

Gby = is that mil second that your heart stops when you sneeze, hence the gby so that you don't die from sneezing. Gby tmz

Reality_Check

Ya... no one cares.

msteve

I am an atheist and I still say "bless you" and "oh my god". Mainly because I grew up in a Christian household in the south and while I did break away from my former beliefs some things ya just keep saying. It doesn't make me a believer. I'm surprised she was so open about being an atheist since its usually frowned upon. Or, maybe that's just here in SC where I live. TMZ get a better spell check system. Its Atheist not Athiest. We are all a little atheist I just go one god further is a pretty cool saying. Peace ya'll and have a great Tuesday.

haskel420

"Athiests" will always break their silence when they stub a toe or have an orgasm..

vanessaolivia

That is why I NEVER watch Glee

momofthree

I always invoke God's name when something in unbelievable.

hummm

is she kind of gay too?

Blue Lake

That's because she's smart and cool. Unlike the person who wrote this and can't spell atheist.

Laura

And she shares this with us, why?

Sonja

Saying Oh My God, or God Bless You when someone sneezes is not a religious declaration.. it's not calling on God. It's simply become a part of our culture, God Bless you after you sneeze has become something akin to saying thank you or your welcome.. simply a polite nicety. Same as how Christmas is a just as much a non religious celebration of family and winter for many, no religious meaning at all. Easter is the same. Making a lot of noise over nothing with this article.

Carl

Stupidest post of the day. Start analyzing most of our sayings (religious or not) and you will find many of them to be ridiculous.

Maria

Come on guys: it's atheist, not athiest... I know you Hollywood people don't need to spell, but still.

CoconutScrimp

And this is news because?

Oval Beach

I'm agnostic at most but I have a friend who is an atheist and when she sneezed this past weekend...out of habit and with no "proselytizing motives" I said, "bless you" and she thanked me...when I say it...it is NOT meant to save her soul or hex anything out of her...it really is out of habit and, to be honest, is says "I know you just sneezed and you are excused".

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments