Jean Stapleton

Dead at 90

6/1/2013 1:09 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0601-jean-stapleton-gettyJean Stapleton -- who played the iconic role of Edith Bunker on "All in the Family" died Friday in New York City. She was 90.

According to her family, Stapleton passed away of natural causes.

Stapleton won three Emmys from her work on "All in the Family" opposite Carroll O’Connor’s equally iconic character, Archie Bunker.

Stapleton's last major role was in the 1998 film "You've Got Mail." She played a co-worker of Meg Ryan's character.

Her husband of 26 years, William Putch, passed away in 1983. She is survived by her two children, John and Pamela.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

paul a.

RIP Edith......

You were no dingbat!

Thanks for the memories

Laura

What an amazing, wonderful woman. Rest in peace, sweet lady--you brought a lot of joy to the world.

Wow ...

RIP!! Thank you for the entertainment and the laughter. My condolences to family, friends and fans.

IwuvTMZ

RIP

Mary

One of my fav actress'. Love her as Mrs. Bunker. RIP

R

Awww. Darn shame. She was great! RIP!

karlew

R.I.P. Ms. Stapleton. She was a class act.

notta

RIP Edith.

Jeems

"He's a very nice man Archie."

God Bless and thanks for the great memories

dierdre

RIP my dear Lady. You brought so much joy to so many people over the years. You will be greatly missed. You certainly were one of a kind Dear Edith Bunker. You truly were an original. My sincere condolences to your family & dear friends.

quezcotl

I will celebrate this death, always found her ugly and boring. Bring out the Champagne!!! another dead far-left/hollywood/disgusting senior/ Obama supporter bit the dust-.

Fred Farkel

I just attended a reunion in Los Angeles for the cast and crew of all the Norman Lear shows going way back to the 70's. No cast members made it from All in the Family, but MacKenzie Phillips was there & Glen Scarpelli from One Day at a Time, Marla Gibbs (Florence) from The Jeffersons, Hal Cooper (the black cop from Sanford and Son always telling the dumb white cop how to be cool), holy sh!t Lisa Welchel (Blair) from Facts of Life looked fan-FREAKING-tastic... who else??? Norman gave a tear jerker speech (92 years old) and Bob Schiller was there (I love Lucy) and his wife Sabrina Scharf (Miramonee, the Indian girl who married Captain Kirk in the mid 60's)... yeah well guys, it's all still true...

THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

Kids?? Uncle Fred had a good life.

Oh my. How could I forget? I was standing onstage near Archie and Edith's bedroom when Archie went up there after Edith had died. My god that was over 30 years ago. The scene with Archie made everyone of us cry when he said goodbye to Edith.

SUNIA3

Archie and Edith together again.

Kabala

She was a good actress. RIP

sierrarose

A very funny lady. Her Edith was a classic.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments