Joan Jett

I Hate Hot Topic

6/13/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0613-joan-jett-blackhearts-getty-hot-topic
update_bar
UPDATE 1:55 PM PT --
Hot Topic just sent us a statement, saying they hold several trademarks for use of the Blackheart brand ... some going back a decade ... adding that Jett's record company never had a problem before.

"Hot Topic, Inc. takes the rights of artists very seriously, and has in fact compensated Ms. Jett over the many years in keeping with mutually agreed-upon license agreements ... this lawsuit is a surprise to us, and we are confident in our rights to use the Blackheart brand name."

gray-bar-update
Joan Jett's got her panties in a twist over a brand new line of lingerie -- owned by Hot Topic -- claiming the risque undie line completely ripped off her "Blackheart" trademark ... as well as her style ... and now her record label's out for payback.

Blackheart Records has filed a lawsuit against HT, claiming the rock-n-roll retailer jacked the "Blackheart" trademark for its new Blackheart lingerie line ... which advertises itself as "lingerie for girls who rock and roll."

0613-joan-jett-blackhearts-website
Jett's record label insists Blackheart lingerie is blatant trademark infringement -- because Jett popularized the term "Blackheart" with her band Joan Jett & the Blackhearts ... and personally made the rock-and-roll chick thing mainstream.

Blackheart records is now suing for trademark infringement and more, demanding unspecified damages ... as well as an injunction blocking any further sale of the lingerie.

Calls to Hot Topic weren't returned.

LittleBIt

Dont blame you Joan - these pr*cks will rip anybody off if they think they can get away with it. DONT LET THEM DO IT TO YA GIRL!!! Always loved your music. Your songs ROCK! Thanks for being such a bad-ass trailblazer. You have given us many years of awsome music and we luv ya for it. All the best. <3

buzz kill

So, when you can no longer make money the old fashioned way (by working) find someone to sue.

Elizabeth

Joan Jett is finally back in the news; haven't heard anything about her in year's till recently;

I used to love her music..

BB not bb

Hot Topic is to fashion what Hot Pocket is to food, just garbage. I wonder if Joan is just insulted by the connection to her. They claim they had an agreement to be able to use her name and image and paid her for it. If that is so, why is the line just debuting now?

Did she agree to something and then they just changed the image on her? I wouldn't trust Hot Topic to get anything straight. To me, Joan Jett is essentially a true artist. Maybe she was just offended by someone making light of her style.

BB not bb

The only thing I can see that comes from her is the name Blackhearts. Maybe they could call the underwear the Blacknotes line instead. I think the style of this line is more like LIta Ford in black than Joan Jett.

Karvey Kardashian

Hot Topic has some great items if you are not an uptight douchebag. I found my favorite Kurt Cobaine shirt, some nice Ax7 shirts, my favorite Korn shirt, and some Slipknot shirts that I could not find at other local shops. I used to buy all of our Halloween costume items there, and was pissed when they left our mall. I'm glad Spencer's opened up to take their place, and I buy just as much there as I did at Hot Topic. Hot Topic had Blackheart items for years, so not sure the reason she freaked out about the Lingere line. Lita Ford kicks ass more than Joan Jett and Jett lost all her rock cred when Kristin Stewart portrayed her in the movie. My brother intoduced me to rock music and Lita Ford after she went out on her own. Lita Ford is one of the only two females that I had a girl crush on in my teens. Samantha Fox is the only other female I ever had a crush on.

BB not bb

Well Karvy, I always preferred Joan Jett to Lita Ford. I remember videos of Lita Ford crawling on the floor in lingerie, which I felt was offensive. Joan Jett always had a strong presence. She seems more of a tough girl than just an easy girl.

The problem with Hot Topic is that they think they are the low life elite. I think they are just clueless and trashy. Anyone who doesn't like their merchandise is a feminine hygiene product? This is typical of the vibe you get there.

Swins

Joan Jett doesn't own the Blackheart trademark. Also she has become quite the sell out, hawking $1000 VIP tickets to her concert via twitter DM spam.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2