Gene Wilder

TRASHES 'Wonka' Movie Remake

'I Think It's an Insult'

6/14/2013 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0614_willy_wonka_01
Don't expect Gene Wilder and Tim Burton to share a candy bar together any time soon ... because Wilder says he flat out HATES the director's remake of his classic film, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

Wilder made a rare appearance Thursday night in NYC and spoke with Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne. According to The Wrap, Wilder called the 2005 movie "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" starring Johnny Depp "an insult" to the original.

Wilder said he had no beef with Depp (calling him "a good actor") but said of Burton, "I don't care for that director. He's a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did."

Oompa Loompa doo-pa-dee do ...
It's gotta suck when Willy Wonka rips you ...

Berserk

Nobody will ever top Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka.

Katz

I absolutely agree with him!

kimmi

Wow. I guess I'm the only one that liked Tim Burton's version better. I found the original one very creepy.
Oh well. Everyone likes something different. Gene Wilder's a legend and so is Johnny Depp.

Kelly

And even though I liked it more than most people, I have to say they ruined Dark Shadows, too.

whateveryou

You can't really blame him. I like Burton's stuff too. But they did make Wonka look pretty nutty in this one. Some movies don't need to be remade.

Keyser Söze

Impossible to disagree with him - "Charlie" is an inferior movie then "Willy", no doubt about it.

mike53051

The remake was almost sinister to children opposed to Wilder's where it was more teaching a lesson.

Carl

The original is better even if the new one is supposedly closer to the original book. Strangely, Tim Burton's version is more mainstream and less subversive than the original, though you'd expect the opposite out of him. The most obvious place to see the difference is in the boat tunnel.

His Prince Michael

@Kimm: Please. No, really. Please.
Depp, is to Wilder, what Fruity-Pebbles is to Denny's.

ChuckyDee

Wilder has been ripping the movie for years, and he is right.

Carla

Totally agree with Gene! The remake was awful and really hard to watch. I'm sick of Hollywood remaking movies that were already awesome to begin with. I want them to take a movie that sucked and make a better version. That would require real talent though.

MP

I totally agree with Mr. Wilder. Nothing beats the original. Burton's movie was just weird.

judi

i agree !

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Is it flashback Friday? He already said he hated it a long time ago. Movie has been out for years, if you didn't like it, you don't have to watch it again.

By the way, the book was better than the first movie, but let's not dwell.

Rebecca

The remake was more based on the book. And the book is very dark. Just saying. Look at Alice in Wonderland, also a dark book and Disney made it look more kid friendly when in reality it's very dark and weird.