Gene Wilder

TRASHES 'Wonka' Movie Remake

'I Think It's an Insult'

6/14/2013 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0614_willy_wonka_01
Don't expect Gene Wilder and Tim Burton to share a candy bar together any time soon ... because Wilder says he flat out HATES the director's remake of his classic film, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

Wilder made a rare appearance Thursday night in NYC and spoke with Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne. According to The Wrap, Wilder called the 2005 movie "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" starring Johnny Depp "an insult" to the original.

Wilder said he had no beef with Depp (calling him "a good actor") but said of Burton, "I don't care for that director. He's a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did."

Oompa Loompa doo-pa-dee do ...
It's gotta suck when Willy Wonka rips you ...

jb

I agree with Wilder, the remake sucked big time.

Toilethead

And he's right.

lisa

I SO agree with Mr. Wilder. I'm glad he got a chance to publicly say it.

HfromDublin

This isn't really new news, when the remake came out he said they where only doing it for the money...and Johnny Depp responded in an interview, I cant remember exactly what he said something like he was a fan of the original and we all gotta make money....or something....

TJ

Doesn't everyone think that way about Burton's version?

self-employed

Love Gene Wilder. One of my favorite actors. Classic films like Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein I have watched over and over and still laugh.

LornaDane

Well the original really felt magical...Burton's version seemed forced and weird for the sake of being weird.

nosy_parker

I agree too, no one can replace the original movie! Man his blue eyes on that picture!

cekb

Gene is entitled to his opinion, however, if you read the book by Roald Dahl you would know that the Tim Burton version is directly from the book, including some of the songs. Most of Dahl's books are dark, especially when it comes to the adults, as he was abused as a child and no adult helped him. I liked the Burton movie as it did follow the book.

josephgein

Also; Peter Ostrum and the WONDERFUL Jack Albertson!

VNVgirl

fkin idiots messin with perfection... genes version was the only version.

She's baaaack

The original is the original. Mr Wilder wins this one.

STFUP

Wilder is right - and he will always be Willy Wonka to me.

I'll Never Tell

Wow, I never knew there were so many Willy Wonka purists in the world. I enjoy them both but actually prefer Burton's version (some of the original music depressed me). I liked getting more of Willy's back story in the film and seeing more of his eccentricities on display. Anyone who spends years locked away from society in a chocolate factory is going to be dark and weird.

Laura

The Tim Burton version wasn't a re-make of the first movie, it was an adaptation of the book. Gene Wilder should take a lesson in being gracious rather than be such a bitter has-been.