Gene Wilder

TRASHES 'Wonka' Movie Remake

'I Think It's an Insult'

6/14/2013 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0614_willy_wonka_01
Don't expect Gene Wilder and Tim Burton to share a candy bar together any time soon ... because Wilder says he flat out HATES the director's remake of his classic film, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

Wilder made a rare appearance Thursday night in NYC and spoke with Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne. According to The Wrap, Wilder called the 2005 movie "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" starring Johnny Depp "an insult" to the original.

Wilder said he had no beef with Depp (calling him "a good actor") but said of Burton, "I don't care for that director. He's a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did."

Oompa Loompa doo-pa-dee do ...
It's gotta suck when Willy Wonka rips you ...

cozblah

Johhnys DEPPths both hy&lo are the hand that feeds this FOX hole ship,wild was never wild and he sure didn`t feed manya ofa mouths in dthis union town.BITTER MUCHO!!

Fox

Porque no Los dos?

Splendetta

I agree with Mr. Wilder. The remake was garbage. No one could ever top the original. Way before its time.

cozblah

DEPP can make anything out of nothing and did is still is.yes burton slucks but depp made the flick his own and it still freaks the BEE GEEzzz EEs out of anyone.action reaction,wilder was slower than a tert D`all.his hiarts was his only stickz

cozblah

Everyone is still watching that DEPP/burton adaption and it stiil freaks out everyone,wilder never had much presents onscreen or off and still don`t

cozblah

OBJECTIVE?

Shannon

I so agree with him

eqquesz

Did anyone here say Re-makes lack creativity, except at the Licencing stage?

James Hart

I thought Wilder has been dead for many years.
I LOVE the remake.

sugar

yep I agree

slaughterhousejive

Wooow. Hes still bitter after how many years? Im sorry but actually neither movie fits the book to a "T". But they are both good for different reasons! the author hated the original movie. And swore away with hollywood after that.

fonzie

"What is this, some kind of a freak out?" Best line in the movie.

Miamimimi

Funny that, the film with Wilder put me off Willy Wonka movies for life. I love me some Johny Depp, but I passed on Charlie, so I cannot compare them. I found the original way to freaky and Wilder was not at all as funny as he was in other movies I've seen him in.

Doug

Thank you I find it a twisted a perverse remake of a cute story about values learned.

beef

He is correct. One of the only movies I ever walked out of. Just horrible... except for the little kid. He was good.