Gene Wilder

TRASHES 'Wonka' Movie Remake

'I Think It's an Insult'

6/14/2013 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0614_willy_wonka_01
Don't expect Gene Wilder and Tim Burton to share a candy bar together any time soon ... because Wilder says he flat out HATES the director's remake of his classic film, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

Wilder made a rare appearance Thursday night in NYC and spoke with Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne. According to The Wrap, Wilder called the 2005 movie "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" starring Johnny Depp "an insult" to the original.

Wilder said he had no beef with Depp (calling him "a good actor") but said of Burton, "I don't care for that director. He's a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did."

Oompa Loompa doo-pa-dee do ...
It's gotta suck when Willy Wonka rips you ...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Robert

I agree with Mr. Wilder!

Mike D.

Love Tim Burton, but Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was way to weird.

MaryContrary

I couldn't agree more.

Kelly

Totally agree with Gene. I simply couldn't get past Depp and Burton's decision that Depp play Wonka as Michael Jackson. It was a decision that ruined any chance the remake had because there was no escaping it throughout.

bendover

HE S ALIVE?

dummy

Agree with Gene, movie was creepy and weird.

FREEWILLY

EPIC FAIL. It was foolish to try and remake it at all. The original is untouchable.

sunnyjazzislove

I'm a big Tim Burton fan, but I've loved Gene longer & he will *always* be Willie Wonka to me!

all about the money

I have to agree. The original is a cult classic. The 2005 movie was a disaster.

rikki

Hardly news; he said 8 years ago when it came out he didn't like it.

But the original was based off a book just like Burtons version was based off a book. Hardly a remake to my mind

Charles

I agree 100% with Gene Wilder. The original was great and still is one of my favorite films. The new one was a complete abomination.

sister278

The remake did SUCK. The first had so many hidden messages. The second was just plain weird.

LordGobblecock

Tim burton films always look great but lack any emotional pull or depth. Theyre more weird whereas the original willy wonka film had bags of charm and child appeal.

HRH Prince Michael

I was a freshman in high school, new to the dating scene. she asked ME out...lol...so we went to see "Young Frankenstein" starring the superb Mr. Gene Wilder and the gut-busting, Mr. Marty Feldmen.
Moves, what moves...lol...we could not stop laughing at one of the funniest movies in American Cinema History. I kid you not, for about
six-months, anytime, anywhere, I'd drop The Line:
DAMN, your eyes!

May The True and Living Yahweh, bless you Mr. Wilder....Mr. Feldman....yes sir....I'm still laughing...God bless your soul.

Berserk

Nobody will ever top Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments