Chris Brown to L.A. City:

My Graffiti Is Protected

By the 1st Amendment!!

6/19/2013 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0506_chris_brown_graffiti_tmz_wmChris Brown is firing back at the City of L.A. -- claiming the gov. has NO RIGHT to force him to remove the graffiti art on the front of his L.A. home because it's protected by the 1st Amendment.

Brown just filed an appeal with the city -- telling officials the bill they're trying to stick him with for having an "unpermitted" mural on the front wall of his Hollywood Hills home is pure B.S..

According to the legal documents, obtained by TMZ, Brown claims the city is wrongly trying to nail him for having an illegal "sign" -- when the graffiti is art that "[enhances] the architectural and aesthetic features of the residential property."

Translation -- my artwork makes my house look dope, son!

Then Chris drops the constitutional bomb -- arguing, "The murals are a reflection of [my] aesthetic taste and a reflection of free speech and expression protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution."

Brown's case is now in the hands of the Dept. of Building and Safety's board of appeals -- and if they shut him down, he can bring the fight to L.A. County Superior Court.

In fact, there's a chance ... albeit a small chance ... that Brown's case could go all the way up to the Supreme Court if he's not willing to back down.

0619_CHRIS_BROWN_painting_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

K Luckey

Stand up Chris for what u believe in

Jordan

Chris Brown will spend A lot of money to lose this fight.

thehoch

How about the rights of your neighbors? Meh, never mine, they have no rights. Please carry on, I can't wait to see how this one ends, knowing how it's going to end.

Greg

Multiple choice answer. Insert your own vowel into the following sentence..

Chris Brown is a D*ck

A. a
b. e
c. I
d. o
e. u

NOT ELMO

Chris Brown to L.A. City:
My Graffiti Is Protected
By the 1st Amendment!!...............send that no talent girl back to africa

BB not bb

I see his point. it is his house and property. He should be able to decorate it how he wants. It may offend the neighbors who feel like they are too good to live in an area that looks like a ghetto.

I think it is a matter of whose aesthetic taste wins out. People do get citations for not having their property conform to the standards of the neighborhood. Is this really constitutional though? Aren't we supposed to live and let live?

I think they all have their own gates and estates and don't really need to see what he has on his wall unless they are driving by. I see a lot of things I don't like, such as billboards and vinyl siding, but I just say, there but for the grace of God go I.

Rachael

He's a first class screw-up, you can take the idiot out of the bad neighborhood but you can't take the bad neighborhood out of the idiot. I can't wait till his money runs out, it's a shame it's wasted on someone who enjoys being an outlaw more than helping others and doing something responsible. I'm sure there are a LOT of people he could help through college with the cash he throws away trying to look like a big shot. What a waste.

Kev the Realist

He is a complete angry, gay, freekin DOUCH$BAG, who is totally self absorbed. If he wants to make a statement buy a large house in the middle of the woods with the rest of the animals like yourself who only think about themselves. I'm sure you must be a great neighbor with your stupid antics. You are a complete A$$hole.

BSname

So if his neighbor spray paints in big bold letters “Girlfriend beating N-word” along with an arrow pointing to Chris Browns house, will we still hear this 1st amendment argument from Chris Brown ??

Brian

What a moron. Maybe one of his neighbors should pound his face in. That seems to be all he understands.

awesomewave

Painted up like some crack den. Yep, seems about right.

steak man

You can take the ahole out of the projects but you can't take projects out of the ahole.

Varchi

I completely agree with Chris on this one. It's a graffiti mural, not messy tagging etc.

Though, if its visible from the other buildings he probably should've gotten the streets permission first.. But I dont know those laws.

Phreaky

What happened to them finding out he didn't do his community service like he was supposed to, and that his family had connections to the Sheriff's office in Virginia (Which is why he requested to do it there, when clearly he lives in Los Angeles!) and they lied and said he did his community service????
This creep needs to be in jail.

Phreaky

Oh also, he's an idiot. The first amendment lets him say anything, but when it's a public display that affects those around him (the neighbors having to live with an eyesore) and when it decreases property values because it makes the neighborhood look ghetto, it's not "free speech". Sorry.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments