James Gandolfini

DIES IN ITALY

6/19/2013 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0619_james_gandolfini_died_death_Article
James Gandolfini -- who famously played Tony Soprano on "The Sopranos" -- died earlier today in Italy ... TMZ has learned.

Gandolfini is believed to have suffered a heart attack. He was 51.

Gandolfini was in Italy to attend the 59th Taormina Film Festival in Sicily -- and he was scheduled to participate in a festival event this weekend with Italian director Gabriele Muccino.

Gandolfini shot to fame playing a hitman in the 1993 hit "True Romance" ... and quickly became a Hollywood legend when he was cast as Tony Soprano in 1999.  He won 3 Emmy awards for the role during the show's 6 season run.

'Sopranos' creator David Chase tells TMZ ... "[James] was a genius. He is one of the greatest actors of this or any time.  A great deal of that genius resided in those sad eyes.  I remember telling him many times, 'You don't get it.  You're like Mozart.' There would be silence at the other end of the phone."

Chase added, "He was my partner, he was my brother in ways I can't explain and never will be able to explain.”

Gandolfini also appeared in a ton of huge movies including "Get Shorty," "The Mexican" and "Zero Dark Thirty."

We last spoke to Gandolfini in May in L.A. -- he was in great spirits, making funny faces and joking about a "Sopranos" movie.

061913_james_gandolfini_launch_v2
His 'Sopranos' co-star Joseph R. Gannascoli -- who played Vito -- tells us, "James is one guy who never turned his back on me. He was the most humble and gifted actor and person I have ever worked with ... and I will forever be indebted to him."

Gandolfini is survived by his wife Deborah Lin, who gave birth to the couple's daughter in October 2012. He also has a teenage son from a previous marriage. R.I.P.

0619_james_gandolfini_remembering_footer

Zombie Whitney Houston

RIP

Wow.. that really sucks. He was so awesome on The Sopranos.

Zinn

Damn, he had the ultimate "sit down"...

harleyharlett

dam :(

Italia

Foul play. He trying to live the part and got himself taken out. Just like his TV son got caught by cops trying to play out his TV role in real life.

G

RIP, boss.

joanna

So Sad

SoWhat

Sad news, he was a good guy. Really sucks when good people like that die and totally worthless 24/7 drug addicted wastes of human beings like the Lohans(especially Lindsay and Dina) keep going.

cristy

I love him :(

D

omg, how horrible. Love him.

Leo

He needs to tell St. Peter he was just acting!!!!!!!!

SoWhat

bportjoey

He was just as tony wished to be "the strong silent type"

Truth is

Follywood claimed another...rip fella

M ferro

This is a shock and such a terrible loss. A good actor, a nice man. I always looked forward to seeing anything with him in it. I wish he would have hired somebody to take care of him, cook his food and stop him from over-doing it in restaurants.
I will miss seeing him in movies

jetfanglo