James Gandolfini

DIES IN ITALY

6/19/2013 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0619_james_gandolfini_died_death_Article
James Gandolfini -- who famously played Tony Soprano on "The Sopranos" -- died earlier today in Italy ... TMZ has learned.

Gandolfini is believed to have suffered a heart attack. He was 51.

Gandolfini was in Italy to attend the 59th Taormina Film Festival in Sicily -- and he was scheduled to participate in a festival event this weekend with Italian director Gabriele Muccino.

Gandolfini shot to fame playing a hitman in the 1993 hit "True Romance" ... and quickly became a Hollywood legend when he was cast as Tony Soprano in 1999.  He won 3 Emmy awards for the role during the show's 6 season run.

'Sopranos' creator David Chase tells TMZ ... "[James] was a genius. He is one of the greatest actors of this or any time.  A great deal of that genius resided in those sad eyes.  I remember telling him many times, 'You don't get it.  You're like Mozart.' There would be silence at the other end of the phone."

Chase added, "He was my partner, he was my brother in ways I can't explain and never will be able to explain.”

Gandolfini also appeared in a ton of huge movies including "Get Shorty," "The Mexican" and "Zero Dark Thirty."

We last spoke to Gandolfini in May in L.A. -- he was in great spirits, making funny faces and joking about a "Sopranos" movie.

061913_james_gandolfini_launch_v2
His 'Sopranos' co-star Joseph R. Gannascoli -- who played Vito -- tells us, "James is one guy who never turned his back on me. He was the most humble and gifted actor and person I have ever worked with ... and I will forever be indebted to him."

Gandolfini is survived by his wife Deborah Lin, who gave birth to the couple's daughter in October 2012. He also has a teenage son from a previous marriage. R.I.P.

0619_james_gandolfini_remembering_footer

Meanie

So sad... RIP.

amyd

Oh my god, that's HORRIBLE!!! Wow, he was the best! So sad!!!!

milly5

Got myself a gun....

karen Benedict

I hope they do an autopsy It does not add up It sounds like he might have been poisoned?

tina

this is so sad I loved his work he will be very deeply missed.

JesusSaves

He will always be a legend and greatly missed. Bright blessings to him and his family and loved ones. RIP

Darlys

Total shock...may he rest in peace, and may the gates of Heaven open wide to take him in...

Throwback kid

He is now in that Bada Bing Club in the sky, RIP Thanks for entertaining us with your great career

mary

iam so sad to hear he died. he was a great actor and i loved anything he was in. the sopranos was so entertaining they were bad, but he made you have sympathy for his character rip and thanks for sharing your gift with us..

victory

WOW! This is shocking news. He was a great actor. On angels wings, big guy.

Fpowers

Gosh I hate that..I absolutely loved him in the Sopranos..He was the best character actor ever!!..James ..you will be missed!!

Jed23

To those saying this is a hoax. Quite sadly, it is not. RIP

Yak

WTH? With all his resources he didn't have a full time cardiologist and a team of doctors assessing his health on a regular basis? Very sad, a huge loss, Tony Soprano is one of my all time favourite characters.

Itoldu

Wow,so young!
RIP & prayers & condolences to your friends & family.
Jersey will miss you.

Arkidd

I believe he's still alive: