James Gandolfini

DIES IN ITALY

6/19/2013 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0619_james_gandolfini_died_death_Article
James Gandolfini -- who famously played Tony Soprano on "The Sopranos" -- died earlier today in Italy ... TMZ has learned.

Gandolfini is believed to have suffered a heart attack. He was 51.

Gandolfini was in Italy to attend the 59th Taormina Film Festival in Sicily -- and he was scheduled to participate in a festival event this weekend with Italian director Gabriele Muccino.

Gandolfini shot to fame playing a hitman in the 1993 hit "True Romance" ... and quickly became a Hollywood legend when he was cast as Tony Soprano in 1999.  He won 3 Emmy awards for the role during the show's 6 season run.

'Sopranos' creator David Chase tells TMZ ... "[James] was a genius. He is one of the greatest actors of this or any time.  A great deal of that genius resided in those sad eyes.  I remember telling him many times, 'You don't get it.  You're like Mozart.' There would be silence at the other end of the phone."

Chase added, "He was my partner, he was my brother in ways I can't explain and never will be able to explain.”

Gandolfini also appeared in a ton of huge movies including "Get Shorty," "The Mexican" and "Zero Dark Thirty."

We last spoke to Gandolfini in May in L.A. -- he was in great spirits, making funny faces and joking about a "Sopranos" movie.

061913_james_gandolfini_launch_v2
His 'Sopranos' co-star Joseph R. Gannascoli -- who played Vito -- tells us, "James is one guy who never turned his back on me. He was the most humble and gifted actor and person I have ever worked with ... and I will forever be indebted to him."

Gandolfini is survived by his wife Deborah Lin, who gave birth to the couple's daughter in October 2012. He also has a teenage son from a previous marriage. R.I.P.

0619_james_gandolfini_remembering_footer

lilmBIGorgan

This hurts. I cant believe its true.

Lovey1119

I just heard this is a hoax??

tabitha28

How sad, he was an amazing actor!!

Gullible

Ah damn, I am sorry to hear this. He seemed like a nice guy and a lot of laughs. Condolences to his loved ones.

Dee

so sorry to hear this. He was a good actor

ilovetheshowmadmen

fifty one is WAY too young... I loved him in the SOPRANOS, rest in peace, Tone....blessings to his family as well..

Kelly

Gives even more support to keeping your house clean so when they come and find you, the paramedics and police don't label you a hoarder somebody who didn't clean house.

Arkidd

Not dead!

DocG

Well, that's too bad. He was an outstanding actor at the prime of his life.
I'm wondering, if he ever went to a doctor regularly?
Heart Disease, America’s #1 Killer.
Thanks, for the fabulous memories, James.
Sympathy, to his family & friends.

InformedCAGuy

I bet Kathryn Bigelow is balancing her account to see if James cashed his "Zero Dark Thirty" royalty check

mike

one of the best actors of all time such a shame. i have dying to see a sopranos movie guess that will never happen. if your a fan of his acting watch the juror. It is the one movie most people do not know he was in and his acting is perfect in that movie

rommel

Too young. R.I.P

AtlantaDude

RIP! His scenes with Nancy Marchand (Livia) on the Sopranos will always live in great show history!

InkedUpGirl

the other day I had a convo with someone and we were saying how we are at that age where it is possible to start loosing some great actors due to their age, etc...
he was such a great actor and I always looked forward to anything he would be in. this sucks.

YouDontSay

R.I.P. My heart goes out to his wife, daughter and son.