Men's Wearhouse Guy

FIRED!!!!!!

6/19/2013 7:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0619_George-Zimmer_getty
update_bar
9:49 AM PT --
Yep, it's nasty.

Zimmer just fired back at MW through a statement released to CNBC ... saying, "Over the past several months I have expressed my concerns to the Board about the direction the company is currently heading."

"Instead of fostering the kind of dialogue in the Boardroom that has in part contributed to our success, the Board has inappropriately chosen to silence my concerns through termination as an executive officer."

gray-bar-update
Men's Wearhouse
did not like the way George Zimmer looked as executive chairman ... 'cause the suit chain just FIRED his ass!!!!

FYI -- the famously-bearded Zimmer didn't just FOUND the company in 1973, he also served as the spokesperson and is known for his slogan -- "You're going to like the way you look, I guarantee it."

The company announced the termination in a blunt statement ... and explained, "The board expects to discuss with Mr. Zimmer the extent, if any, and terms of his ongoing relationship with the company."

Sounds like a pretty nasty breakup.

In the meantime, here's a commercial to remember him by ...

Twilightstar

I guess there are no more guarantees. Mr. Zimmer should have kept control of his company. I liked his ads I thought they were good.

Twilightstar

This company was his baby. I read where he started it in his garage and took money in a shoebox. Now so called professionals are going to run the company. Get ready for it to fall apart. I hope all the customers go somewhere else.

tt

I like him and his voice!!

victoria

Youth is now replacing old suits.

Sue

Makes one rethink having a board...

mikesnvgirl

Blasphemy! I worked here years ago and George was so motivational and a great guy to party with. He came to the stored and the Christmas parties every year. You would not believe how many businesses he helped his employees start to encourage and support them. This is corporate greed I am sure. George has standards and looked after his staff, the board probably wanted to do something that would be harmful to that culture. Sad day.

Hotter

Wonder what his golden parachute was.... Being company founder and all.

Mark

The Seattle Clothing Company that defined Casual Fridays was redefined by Zimmer as "Business Casual" to serve his own self interests of selling Blazers and Sports Jackets.

Mr.Mackey

How do you go from founding a company to getting fired from it? Could be a publicity stunt.

Swan

I guarantee it! Guess I need to find a new men's store to buy my husband's clothes. GZ is MW.

Lo From Wisco

I currently work with the company and we were equally shocked this morning when these was a lengthy email in our inbox. It was a poor move firing him and I really hope the company this man built from the ground up can stay on it's feet.

Kathy

My son used them for his wedding last week, horrible customer service and the Tux's were like paper with poly shirts. They used to be pretty decent with quality material, not anymore.

Bigmack10

Boycott men!

Andrew

The more I read up on this, the more it sounds like hes been forced out due to his support for the occupy movement. Which then lead to a dip in sales. And if that is indeed the case it was pure stupidity on his part. Something tells me the lazy, jobless, excuse making vandals that whine about fairness from their parents basement are not the ones putting money in his pockets. Call me crazy but I think people with jobs and those that want to look respectable in public are the ones entering his stores.

Adrian

Hire the AFLAC guy to do the voice over's for the commercials.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments