Men's Wearhouse Guy

FIRED!!!!!!

6/19/2013 7:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0619_George-Zimmer_getty
update_bar
9:49 AM PT --
Yep, it's nasty.

Zimmer just fired back at MW through a statement released to CNBC ... saying, "Over the past several months I have expressed my concerns to the Board about the direction the company is currently heading."

"Instead of fostering the kind of dialogue in the Boardroom that has in part contributed to our success, the Board has inappropriately chosen to silence my concerns through termination as an executive officer."

gray-bar-update
Men's Wearhouse
did not like the way George Zimmer looked as executive chairman ... 'cause the suit chain just FIRED his ass!!!!

FYI -- the famously-bearded Zimmer didn't just FOUND the company in 1973, he also served as the spokesperson and is known for his slogan -- "You're going to like the way you look, I guarantee it."

The company announced the termination in a blunt statement ... and explained, "The board expects to discuss with Mr. Zimmer the extent, if any, and terms of his ongoing relationship with the company."

Sounds like a pretty nasty breakup.

In the meantime, here's a commercial to remember him by ...

mr.howell

I remember his TV spots, so this is the thanks he gets for creating a 40 year old company!..what 'A-holes' the board members are!..good luck George!.

VictoriaGirl

How can you be fired from your own company?
Even though there are a board of directors, its still YOUR company.

Ni

He needs to go build a new company - with FEMALE clothes as well, PLEASE!!!!!!!

J

I worked at MW for three years a few years back. To be honest, I did notice some changes happening with the company which weren't the best. It seemed to be going in the wrong direction. I guess firing him is suppose to fix their mistake?

Lora

Mr Zimmer is quite sexy. They did a wrong,,,,,,,

kwkurtz44

Well that is the risk you take in going public and selling more shares of stock than will allow you to keep controlling interest. However, the board would do well to remember who built the company and made it famous. It will cost them millions to build up that kind of repoir with the public again.

BB not bb

They probably thought he was too old school for them any more. They probably want to appeal to a younger demographic result of some market survey. When those type of ideas took over the new partners at Valentino, they pretty much ruined the whole concept and drove him into retirement.

This is what happens when you sell out part of your company. It really becomes no longer you company. Like they say, too many cooks spoil the soup. Someone will have their big ego or own ideas and just run all over what you think.

Maybe he can just start another company or go into retirement.

Murphman

Youre going to like your severance package...I guarantee it.

Real Life

This just goes to show you that you can become the Founder/CEO of a company and get FIRED if you allow it to become a public company or a company with board members! Always remain in control of your business! Now that famous slogan that many of us remember probably might belong to his former business in which in founded. Wishing him the best of luck! You can never stop success!

Marie

How can they fire him from his company. He rocked and he made a huge mistake in letting other people take control of his company. This is very, very, very sad news.

Sashatree

IDIOT BOARD! THEY JUST FIRED THEIR 'BRAND', THEIR 'VOICE", THEIR FOUNDER. WOW -- MONUMENTAL FAIL BY THOSE JOKERS! I wish Mr. Zimmer all the best in the world!

wasted days and wasted nights

I suppose those Board members will be doin' some shoppin' now that they've busted out of their britches.

Sam

Well, I suppose being a drug addict had something to do with his firing as well. I hear he is the biggest Ecstasy head.

Badass2012

They will regret this decision.

I guarantee it.

mekanix

Same thing happened to Bruce Wayne. He will bounce back in no time.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments