Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

Doc Suggs

Language has power only if when we assign it. As Frank Zappa told Tipper Gore: "These are just words, man." Quoting geniuses like Mark Twain and Richard Pryor should not offend anyone.

Paul138

give her a break she is from the south, this islike asking a prostitute if she ever gave head.

Korn

let's use the F word. FAT Let's use the letter U. UGLY.

allan houpt

hip hop thugs say the n-word 20 or 30 times per songs so why make a big deal about it when a white person uses it, its still not a big deal they are still black thugs

T

You go Paula!!! Sourthern girls speak the truth!!!
N Word? B-Word? F-word? M-word? S-word? W-word? WHATEVER! Have you seen whats on your reality TV lately....it is full of all of of this junk and ya all think Paula is the problem....PLEASE!

Darnell Allen

Bitch is racist point blank 60's didnt matter from now if youre a genuine person in youre heart you would be you no matter if it was racist or not BE YOU alot of white people say the N word but only if their behind closed doors,mad or know they cant get touched at that moment like when cops are around the moment a white person says that THEYVE SHOWED TRUE COLORS no matter how upset they are idgaf! I over heard my superviser talking to some co workers which he didnt see me walking up I heard "whats obama doing now ? hes in the white house eating watermelon"SMH and then to be a coward about it and say "i eat watermelon too" is cowardly **** if you dislike a person fine but the minute you bring color into it idgaf about you,and i dont have any positive things to say about you because as much **** as white ppl do I can never see myself saying bush isnt doing his job what is bush doing??in the white house having sex with his 1st cousin,making blue prints to shoot up a movie theatre,having secret service scout a school to shoot up NO thats just plain ignorant if I thought like that when A white person was in office shame on me,but i dont care what race you are I use to think about skeeting in paula's mouth like a twinkie when bit in but that bitch can go suck on a stick of butter.After django white people might have got brave but im still waiting to gt called a ******.

walt

Always playing the race card. Only whites are biased. Only whites can't use the word. Ever hear a current black comedian go through his routine without using it? Only in America.

Windy

I hear the N-word used all the time. It depends on the contest. GEEZ

Barry Englin

Helloooooooo...everyone is a racist! If you deny it you are not telling the truth! It's something ALL humans do at one time or the other! I don't care if you are a priest, rabbi or imam you've either said it or thought it...get real everyone and move on!

GURLPLEASE

Paula Dean big fatazz full of butter. She have the nerve to say she wants black males waiters to work for her as slaves. This lady is bold to even admit to saying N word and wanting blacks slaves. Oh well what can you but wait for her breed is slowly but showly die off.

Aaron M

So what? everyone has used the word aint a big deal, and which N word did she say cause theres a few of them

tomjustlooking

Sure Paula, you hardly ever used the word. We beleive that as much as we believe the "change" statement made by the N word President

angie

She is an older lady from the south uummm yeah she has said it.

John

WHO THE **** CARES!? She can say whatever the hell she wants just like the rest of us. I can use the word "******" if I want to as well...

ECHICK

Theresa Q

YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG! I AM WELL OVER 40 AND THAT WORD HAS NEVER CAME OUT OF MY MOUTH! I CRING WHEN I HERE IT.