Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

Dover

I use the "N" word regularly. Because I sing along to hip hop music as it plays. And the black people that record hip hop think the word is fine and dandy. So I sing along with them in support and solidarity.

sevonne

I'm a middle aged african american male and I grew up in the south and I heard the word ****** many times in my youth. She being an older white woman raised in the south I'm sure she's used the word many times. Whether she is racist or not no one knows that but her, but I respect the fact that she openly admits to using the word.

char

If its such a racists word to use and I think it is. Then I think no one should use the word including black people themselves. There shouldn't be a double standard on who can call someone the n word.

awesomewave

Black people use it, sing about it, use it for comedy even.

Confusing.

tellinghistruth

Its really sad that this black generation even start using that word so comfortable in the first place when they know where it came from in the first place. Along with the saggy pants! WAKE UP YOUNG AND DUMB AND STAND FOR SOMETHING.

dann

HOT CALENDAR - SANDRA MARTINEZ !!

MJ

who cares if she used the N work or the A or B or C or D word. every word from rap is the N word. pathetic that people of white background have to pay for things done 150 years ago. should be Free Speech

kat40

Like some of the other comments to truth full I think everyone has a little fascism in them and a lot of time it may come from things that has happen to you personally

Dr Dave

B_lew time for the black community to start taking accountability for what they do instead of riding the coat tails of your ancestors trials and tribulations. There is a gross self entitlement within the majority of the black community. Obviously you are not familiar with history. Almost every race or religion has been enslaved at some point. Go back to the Roman era where there were many white European men women and children enslaved. Jews throughout time had it way worse in multiple occasions than the blacks. Time for you to set a proper example for your community because black people are their own worst enemy and refuse to take responsibility for anything and just use racism as an excuse for bad parenting and behavior. I'm sick of everyone having to ***** foot around the black community or else be deemed a racist when your culture is the most racist of all. Stop making excuses and create solutions because you are just creating more segregation for your whole culture by acting this way. And stop saying your African Americans unless you were born there first. Technically we all originated in Africa so that would give any other race just as much entitlement to be called African American too!!

Ms James

No one cares Paula. You and your family are negative nonfactors.

wilwon

Sounds like she's being honest. Our government should learn that!

Tami

First off every black person does not use the word.. And though this may not make sense to u, there is a difference Btwn *****, and n***er, it's not what u do its how u do it! When Paula D used it she meant it in a racist derogatory way... I mean who wants people to dress up as slaves?? Smh! I've heard white kids Say it like "what's up *****" I don't get offended(even though they shouldn't be using the word) , it doesn't become offensive until your use of it is insinuating that black ppl are ni***s or when u address a black Person as N as to say hes beneath u...

jjlee

I'm not going to say "I'm listening to the song 'n word in Paris!'". Never heard anybody say that when listing kanye's song no matter what race. If it's so offensive then don't name a title track with that word for the world!

taih588

People keep saying well black people uses the n word towars each other then why is it wrong for us well let me ask you a question if you have sex with your wife is it ok for me to **** her to because your doing it NO. and i was shocked to hear that spanish people hate when strangers call them amigo because amigo means friend and y'all are stranger. She racist because she described the man as a ****** when she was talking to her husband and she know she was wring because in that case she shouldve called him the n word when he had the gun to her face. And if all the black people who used tge n word jumped off the bridge would u follow

cp1090

This will always be a topic of discussion no matter how old it gets..Yes I feel as a young black man we bring a lot of flack nd heat upon ourselves but it isn't to the point where we all should be disrespected..I feel as if a lot of whites and other races say ***** as well as ****** in the comforts of their own homes nd lives..it's until a public figure we see nd adore uses it that society and news makes it a big deal..unless she calls every black person she sees one then its a problem but this is unnecessary news honestly.