Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

sasha

WHY is the focus on just the "N" word?! the deen family made racial slurs towards every race but for some reason the media wants to stress the issue and focus in on just the african american race being sensitive to paula using the "N" word! lets not forget that the accuser is a female caucasian not a "N" word who is also suing for sexual harassment which EVERYONE has overlooked and the "N" word is just the cherry on top of her american apple pie that is going to help her get a $lice of non-discriminatory heaven!so before everyone comments about how blacks use the "N" word towards each other,blacks are so insensitive but are the biggest racists themselves and my favorite Obama is to blame lets not forget that none of her "N" employees that she wanted to be slaves in her wedding are suing,it is her caucasian former supervisor who wants to take caucasian paula deen to the bank!.i myself being a african american love a good "N" word joke every now and again from any race b/c i myself am very proud of who i am and a joke doesn't define me but as with anything said its all about the intention people with a dose of hidden agenda ! ! so before we post comments rereading the story would do us all some good and maybe you may have overlooked the other racial jokes that might make you 'insensitive' as well!

TREAJURE96

STUPID, IGNORANT AND SHOULD I SAY MORE..... MEXICANS USE IT AND WHITES USE IT AMONG THEMSELVES, CALLING EACH OTHER THAT WORD SO HOW U DOING?????? I CAN BELIEVE PAULA IS RACIST I PICK THAT UP IN HER SPIRIT AND SHE PROBUBLY LEARNED HOW TO COOK FROM A BLACK PERSON AND STOLE RECIPES LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE DO AND CLAIM IT.....

Tami

And for those of u who are unfamiliar with how black people actually use the word, as I said in a previous comment, not all black people use the word and also, most people use the word n***a, which (though u may not understand this) is not meant in the same way as ni**er, my point is, the word that most of you are referring too which is n***a is used to describe a man, ANY MAN of any race! just had to throw that in there #slang 101

sadasasa

Very suprised to hear this from her.....She looks like she is an undercover lover of the BBC (big black ****) white married ladies who love side black ****!!

Terri Lee Jackson

I think if someone points a gun at your head, you should be able to call them whatever you want. Did you expect Paula to call him a black man or African American in the heat of the moment of telling her husband the story? At least she was honest.

Susie

Paula is the bomb! Love her! & at least she was honest, when u r from the South, uve heard it, said it or thought it at some time in your life, it's just the way it is

Josh

This is INSANE! I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with what she said!!

ROB

What a bunch of retards....she's being castrated for being honest?

Bob

What a crock everyone is a racist. I don't even know what it means anymore. Back in the 70's a racist was someone who hated. racism = hatred. Now the term is used for which hunts. People are now fearful to be accused of being a racist. Quite a reversal of where the fear and hate are. As I listen to the lies that the press spread about the past I wonder what else in history is complete garbage. STOP THE HATE

adriennemarie

Food Network has gone too far!! There is not a person our age who has not said the word. She was under oath and spoke the truth. What the heck does everyone want. Rather, she was truthful than an out and out liar like most people. The politically correct bull has got to go away. I do not approve of the use of the word, and teach my grandchildren it is offensive. Then they tell me that their black friends use it to each other all the time. Hello, what the heck??

Larry

The people in this country are so stupid. Just because someone says the word ******.
I tell you this, I will say the word ****** anytime I want to. If blacks can say it, then I have the right to say it. If a person is acting like a ****** then I am going to call them one. I will continue to use the word ****** the rest of my life and no one can stop me.

gm

That's the beauty about America. Freedom of speech. Any speech.
Even the words some people don't like to hear. It's our right. You don't have to listen.

gm

Seriously? It's the south and it's use is common for certain eras. The point is that the Deen's no longer condon its use. What's your problem? No c/o's about wetbacks, rednecks, etc. get over it!

Mike Hughes

I'm fairly sure that everyone with a soutern upbrining has used the N word at some time in their lives, be they of white skin or black. Probably, a majority of northerers should be included. The tactics by this attorney are very similar to the tactics of the lawyer that asked "When did you stop beating your wife?" He's a born ambulance chaser, if there ever was one. I'm not much of a cooking show watcher, but it's a shame for someone to lose hosting one just because a slipshod cable network thought that her answer to the shyster was unacceptably policially incorrect.

MARIE

If I use the S word...as in you STUPID people need to get a life...Is that a racial slur????? Do you people REALLY HAVE NOTHING MORE TO DO..WILL ALL YOU INNOCENTS WHO HAVE NEVER USED A RACIAL SLUR PLEASE STAND UP????WOW I COUNT ZERO.....