Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

teresa

This is ridiculous. Black people call each other the N word. I was a child in the 40's & 50's and I can still feel the cringe when my father would say that word.
I forgive you Paula. I believe you are truly sorry.

MARIE

If I use the S word...as in you STUPID people need to get a life...Is that a racial slur????? Do you people REALLY HAVE NOTHING MORE TO DO..wILL ALL YOU INNOCENTS WHO HAVE never USED A RACIAL SLUR PLEASE STAND UP????wOW i COUNT ZERO.....

PK Caker

I'll buy everyone of her cookbooks now - She is number one on my list. What a sham. So what ? What black person hasn't used that word several thousand times more than she has. Daily !!

E

That word is used every day everywhere, it is the way it is used toward a person that will make it a hate word and tell the truth of whats in a persons heart, I have seen racists of the worst kind and they will tell you they get anger over any thing that is different from what they have been taught all there lives.

NANCY ACHORS

EVERYONE MAKES A MISTAKE!!!! WHY SHOULD SHE LOSE HER JOB!!!!! THE BLACKS REFER TO THE WHITES WITH ALL SORT OF INSULTING NAMES AND NO ONE COMPLAINS ABOUT THAT.

GIVE THIS WOMAN A BREAK...SHE APOLOGIZED. WHY SHOULD SHE LOSE HER JOB. I AM SURE IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN AND THAT WORD WILL NEVER COME OUT OF HER MOUTH AGAIN. TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE......GIVE THIS WOMAN A BREAK.

Joyce Mann

I grew up spending all available time with my grandparents about 30 miles from Paula. You have no idea what life was like back then or the infuluence we had in our life. If you would focus on more good people and less Hollywood trash your show would have more staying power.

marcus aurelius

THE FOOD NETWORK WILL LOSE MANY MORE VIEWERS BY AXING PAULA DEAN THAN THEY WOULD HAVE LOST BY STANDING WITH HER. THE NETWORK'S PC-NESS IS GUTLESS AND SHAMEFUL!

Ugotshook

I call white people honkies...... But I'm not racist!

ALANA MELVIN

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN US AND HER IS WE ARE NOT ON NATIONAL T.V. AND SELLING HOUSEWARES ALL AROUND THE GLOBE

Pat Gates

They need to leave Paula Deen alone. I do not agree with use of the N word, but I don't think Ms Deen deliberately uses this word for name calling or out of disrepect for another person. It's only because she is s TV celebrity that anyone cares amyhow. I think the food network will lose a lot of viewers by cancelling her show.

Ima Peane

In 1992, Paula became socially unacceptable

hEarT_Of_bKlYn

The point of firing her is because she is a national figure dummies!! You think the food network wants to be associated with with the N word when they associate with black people everyday?? You-all are so ignorant!! Why loose millions because Paula Dean uses her own slang!!! Im black and I use the word everyday some people accept it some people don't I don't think she should've lost her job she rich anyway who cares lol

Esther S

Shoot the mid '80s, that's nothin'. I live in Western PA. In early 2000's my husband was working emergency services. 911 was called and they were trying to find Black Hollow Road. GPS could not locate it. FInally after scoring maps they figured out why. It's official name was N***** Hollow Road. Had signs and everything. Signs said "N. Hollow Road" Hopefully it's fixed by now, but that really wasn't that long ago. Some places it takes a long time for change.

lalet

How many of you here have ever used the word cracker? or wet back? or gringo? Paula is just like anybody else, leave her alone.

markavelli

Shocking admission? TMZ have put themselves on a pedestal of hypocrisy. The "N" word is more of a stereotpye negative than a racial slur.
Example, a redneck kicked my car door. What color do you think his skin was??? Am I talking about all white people? Or just a very specific type of person within that group? People will always put labels on other people.

"When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape."