Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

Mikey

Them N-Word people sure be crazy..

Just doesn't work the same.

tink981

Why is it always derogatory when it's a white person speaking unkindly about a black person based on skin color, but when blacks make up names for white people, it's all well and good. Example, there is a black lady in my office who is always referring to white females as "white girl". She even describes our cooking that way. She will say, "That's 'white girl' chicken". Is this not the same thing and if so, should I complain to HR about it and start a big ole stink over it. I don't because I let it slide off my shoulder and forget about it. Maybe black people should do the same. In all honesty, is the word ****** that big a deal. There are worse names....

erl4454

Sounds like she uses the word a lot. I was robbed by a black man. It never crossed my mind to call him that word. The same is I was robbed by a white man. I wouldn't call him white trash etc.... She is a racist. Everytime she tells a story about a black person she uses the word!!

bcobian

you can't call black folks the "N-word"....even if they work for you. 1952 has long been gone.

Mikey

I prefer to say Colored people like they do at the NAACP.

bcobian

Being a racist is pretty bad. Pretending you aren't because you're afraid to lose money is WORSE.

Mikey

You have to use N-Word cause if you spell it out the Colored People who work at TMZ will delete it.

Lisa

Way to post a half a*s news story TMZ... wtf is she under oath FOR?

Georgie

well, i won't be watching or supporting her show again. I find it extremely disappointing when a public figure that I trust, whose products I support or have supported are exposed as racist, being against my existence, or have a desire to see me or have me perceived as less than a human being.

Mikey

I wonder if she uses the word Beaner a lot being a cook and all.

ctcco

What a greedy, fake as$ woman in oh so many ways. :-(

Her Imperial and Royal Majesty

She's like a walking stereotype of Southern racism.

just sayin

TMZ has accused other groups of crying wolf over stupid things to the point that it hurts the cause. Kettle, meet pot.

deediana

You can tell by her accent she uses the word but that doesn't make her racist. :) in my opinion most Caucasians and Latinos have used the word just not in front of certain people. If you realize people say it you won't be shocked when you hear it

str8edgewriter

I would never call an upstanding black person that word but trash, criminals, etc- they earned it. Not really that complicated. Why not do a story on the REAL racism against whites from the black community? It's far more prevalent. Like, by a LANDSLIDE.