« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Serena Williams

Issues BS Statement

After Steubenville Rape Comments

6/19/2013 7:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0618_serena_williams
Serena Williams isn't exactly apologizing for the incendiary comments she allegedly made about the Steubenville rape victim ... because she's not entirely sure she said them, at least that's the way it seems from the BS statement she just released.

Williams came under fire this week over an article printed in Rolling Stone ... in which the tennis superstar is quoted as saying, "[the Steubenville rape victim] shouldn’t have put herself in that position" on the night she was raped at a high school party.

But moments ago, Williams issued a statement on her website -- in which she takes NO responsibility for the comments ... and suggests she may not have ever said them at all.

"I am currently reaching out to the girl’s family to let her know that I am deeply sorry for what was written in the Rolling Stone article. What was written – what I supposedly said – is insensitive and hurtful, and I by no means would say or insinuate that she was at all to blame."

The statement begs the obvious question -- DID YOU MAKE THE COMMENTS OR NOT??

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Nanci

So drinking = RAPE??? That's the most ignorant thing she said........ So if a guys sees a drunk girl/woman she deserves to she rape because she shouldn't been drunk....WOW

pat

Serena "The Bull" Williams can't remember if she said things or not. Hmm.

The steroids are probably making her confused.

Surfer Gal

Serena Williams was raised as a Jehovah's Witness. For those of you who do not know what that entails it means that young people are not allowed to drink, young people are not allowed to congregate without proper adult supervision. I know that is a foreign concept in today's world, but she does have a point. Even adults are forbidden to be alone with a member of the opposite sex, especially riding in a car alone together. It is a very restrictive society but it does stop rapes.

Kabukigirl

I say this as a rape victim myself. You have to take responsibility for your part in the situation. The boys were wrong for sure. At 16 you know you should not be at a party drinking. I made the mistake of going out with someone I did not know very well and should have insisted on staying in the car when he said he needed to check his answering machine at home - yeah the days before cell phones and texting. I put myself at risk and he was wrong as well.

baby

serena looks scary, i think its time she stopped using steroids.

KingPtheGreat

If she said it its her opinion. To the idiot who refered to kobe and mike case to make their point u missed. Those women were not raped. They saw a opportunity to get paid and took it. This young lady is partly to blame. U are educated about these things in school starting in jr high. If u choose to ignore the what was told to u and particapate in wreckless behavior then yes u are partly to blame. Not taking any responsibility from the accusers and the only double standard is u racist white people who steal murder and anything else u gotta do to get rich but wanna throw black men in prison for doin the same....

Hera

IT'S NEVER A RAPE VICTIMS FAULT. AND THE ONES SAYING SO, ARE WHATS WRONG WITH THISWORLD. AND PROBABLY RAISING RAPISTS. AND THEIR ARE GIRLS COMMITTING SUICIDE BECAUSE THEYRE BEING BLAMED BY IGNORANT PEOPLE SAYING IT'S THERE FAULT. THIS WORLD NEEDS A CLEANSING. STARTING WITH RAPISTS AND THEIR SUPPORTORS. GFYS

RunnersHi5

She should have stayed in school.

Jay W.

Best to keep your mouth closed and stick to tennis sweetheart.

Joi

Although the results were tragic in this case, I have to agree that this girl should not have put herself in this situation. Parents have to teach their children about about underage drinking (and drinking to excess when they reach adult age).

I taught my daughter that when she walks away from a drink, consider it dead. I also taught her not to trust a drink that her friends are supposed to be watching because everyone gets distracted at a party. Finally, always put your hand on top of your drink.

I'm not sure that Serena was blaming the girl. I think her phrasing was unfortunate and a bit ignorant.

Too bad none of the kids at the party stepped in to help the girl. As far as I'm concerned, they're all guilty.

HLyWDgreg

Usually I can't stand Serena,(conceded bully poor sport) but I don't see anything wrong here. She probably said it, is probably right, and now is trying to soften the blow after considering the victim & family's feelings.

John Elliott

Serena is an idiot not the first time she has opened mouth to insert the foot.

Toilethead

She's a moron.

blueberriesone

Thank you for showing this i will not buy nike gatorade or any brands that support her

Miki

You know what, she is right. The victim did put herself in that position.