« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Serena Williams

Issues BS Statement

After Steubenville Rape Comments

6/19/2013 7:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0618_serena_williams
Serena Williams isn't exactly apologizing for the incendiary comments she allegedly made about the Steubenville rape victim ... because she's not entirely sure she said them, at least that's the way it seems from the BS statement she just released.

Williams came under fire this week over an article printed in Rolling Stone ... in which the tennis superstar is quoted as saying, "[the Steubenville rape victim] shouldn’t have put herself in that position" on the night she was raped at a high school party.

But moments ago, Williams issued a statement on her website -- in which she takes NO responsibility for the comments ... and suggests she may not have ever said them at all.

"I am currently reaching out to the girl’s family to let her know that I am deeply sorry for what was written in the Rolling Stone article. What was written – what I supposedly said – is insensitive and hurtful, and I by no means would say or insinuate that she was at all to blame."

The statement begs the obvious question -- DID YOU MAKE THE COMMENTS OR NOT??

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

static

Meathead athlete.

Heather

And Serena is an effing idiot.

Rationalist

Sasquatch is horrible on and off the court. She's just a nasty person. Did anyone see her threaten to "shove this ball down your throat" and also other language, to a tiny little Asian lines person a few years ago for a (correct) foot fault call? The microphones picked it up as we watched. She was fined big for that one. Of course, no one wants to have sex with SerenaSquatch so she's bitter and says really stupid and ignorant things.

RudeEyeLand

No one deserves to be raped, but you do not put yourself in those situations either! That is why a SHARK will never bite me,,, I swim in pools and beach water to my ankles

BaadBoy

If she did say that, she was right. It’s against the law for a 16-year old to drink. Kids learn about strangers, rape, and dangerous situations in the second grade. This girl was illegally drinking and endangered herself. Nobody is saying she deserved to be raped but she sure as hell contributed to that situation. Serena has to make a show for the public and dial back her dialogue but she was right.

UmHuh

She DOES NOT owe anyone an apology. The girl should not have put herself in that situation at all. No, she didn't deserve it but she is responsible for her behavior. Unfortunately, putting herself in that situation, which was dumb, caused others to do something even more stupid. Serena, why would you back track? I would say what you said to any child, woman, or man.

Los Pepes

This "female" could compete in the male tournaments

Corey

Sad that we live in a culture that teaches "DON'T GET RAPED", instead of "DON'T RAPE!".. Bad choices were made, but it doesn't give anyone the right to rape another person. The way the rapist's were made into the victims in this particular case was sickening.. All because they were "promising athletes" .. Excuse me while I vomit

BECKER

IT WASN'T HER IT WAS THE STEROIDS TALIKNG

tracker

Serena,that goes for your sister who was murdered while in the company of drug dealers? maybe you should STFU...

daveej

Serena is right! In this day and age you have to watch out for yourself. The cops can't do it, and a lot of men are out there ready to take advantage of anyone weaker then they are. They are called predators for a reason.

notalawyer

boughetto

SomeWhiteBlackAsian

I just got a free PSN code from http://linkbitty.com/FreePSNCodes

Emma

Those boys shouldn't;t have put themselves in the position of being rapists. They only have themselves to blame.

Blaming victims is disgusting and a part of the problem. Girls are human beings too. They have a right to make mistakes including getting drunk and passing out. That's what young people do when they're young and stupid. That doesn't give other people a right to RAPE them!

If I saw someone drunk and passed out my first thought would be to help them, not RAPE them. Do you get it? Do you understand what rape is? If you get drunk and pass out does that give someone the right to RAPE you? What kind of sick logic is that? If I get drunk and pass out and someone comes along and murders me, is that my fault? Is my murderer not to blame? What is wrong with some people?

Emma

Be careful you don't knock yourself out on the court Serena. A lot of men - and sadly women - out there think it's OK to rape someone who's unconscious. They don't seem to understand the concept of personal responsibility or that rape is a violent crime.