« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Serena Williams

Issues BS Statement

After Steubenville Rape Comments

6/19/2013 7:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0618_serena_williams
Serena Williams isn't exactly apologizing for the incendiary comments she allegedly made about the Steubenville rape victim ... because she's not entirely sure she said them, at least that's the way it seems from the BS statement she just released.

Williams came under fire this week over an article printed in Rolling Stone ... in which the tennis superstar is quoted as saying, "[the Steubenville rape victim] shouldn’t have put herself in that position" on the night she was raped at a high school party.

But moments ago, Williams issued a statement on her website -- in which she takes NO responsibility for the comments ... and suggests she may not have ever said them at all.

"I am currently reaching out to the girl’s family to let her know that I am deeply sorry for what was written in the Rolling Stone article. What was written – what I supposedly said – is insensitive and hurtful, and I by no means would say or insinuate that she was at all to blame."

The statement begs the obvious question -- DID YOU MAKE THE COMMENTS OR NOT??

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

pjwilkin@aol.com

The negativity i see from you is not unlike what was thought of the statement made by Serena. Your group is disappointing to most intelligent folk. Please make statement of your own that are not BS. You have always been extremely negative about women of color. Surprised that there are NO men of color or men in general on your show to dis pute the negativity!!!!

A

What she said is correct...Where were the parents? Why was the girl that stupid to be in that situation? Sorry, I was teen girl once and my parents taught me correctly, don't be a dumb ass. The boys made a bad choice as well and again parenting correclty may have prevented those bad decisions.

lotus13

People don't even know how to speak anymore: Rolling Stone interview, P. Deen, radio djs, Lil Wayne, Miss Utah. We are loosing our ability to construct a complete sentence, a complete thought. We spew ****, then, we backtrack, then we apologize, wimpy. Like a kid on a playground who kicks you, and automatically says sorry. As if all's ok. Where were the adults/parents of the Stuebenville party house? and who are the parents who raised those boys?
Thanks tons, mindless parents, who are raising young mindless monster men like this, who might attack my daughters.

Nonsense

Why in the world would she even go there in the first place? Nothing good comes from spouting opinions on situations that you are not involved.

Wendi

Honestly what did she say that isn't true? Obviously the men in this situation are deplorable, but to say this isn't a teaching moment for parents and girls out there is naive. Women are MURDERED because of situations like these. We ladies don't have the luxury of trust in this world. Teach your daughters to have their s*** together. Serena was right, she is LUCKY because the outcome could have been MUCH MUCH worse.

irene

SERENA IS A UGLY FING PIG AND A BIG MOUTH EXACTLY WHY IS SHE STICKING UP FOR RAPISTS? I HAVE TO WONDER

tmz posters dont know sh1t

It's always these freakin white girl party animal sl*ts, college freaks who always back the actions of little hot in the pants girls like this one. You totally place all blame on the males and nothing on her little fast a$$. Next you're gonna tell me the little sl*t who got sh!tfaced on Temple campus at the party and fell off the roof wasn't her fault huh? It was the fault of all the males who piled her w/ drinks. FOH

ignatious black

don't hate the message because you have a problem with the messenger. what was said was true. a 16yr old should not have been in that position. where were the friends? the parents should have had the conversation a long time ago.

Loud4Many

Thugs will be thugs. Vile, disgusting mindset.

wornoutmama

I don't think she should've apologized because what she said was right. While the boys obviously did wrong, I think their punishment was a bit much and I think she should've been punished herself for, if nothing else, underage drinking. But those boys futures were basically stripped away because this girl couldn't hold her liquor. I don't believe they would've turned into hardcore rapists. And a part of me thinks little girl wanted it...

Ms.V

Everyone defends free speach and the comments that are said on these blogs are majority of the time mean and hurtful. I think what Serena Williams said is true and most of these perfect people who are talking crap about it are hypocrites. I agree, the young girl in question and all girls should not be getting all drunk out of their mind and taking chances that people will spike their drinks and or do bad things to them. I think Serena said the truth and what many really wanted to say, and think she said it with class and decorum.

Mee

It's the era of FAKES
saying what others want to hear instead of what YOU REALLY THINK !!

Dianne

If people would read in between the lines...Serena was raped at the same age. Her remarks tell me she is still blaming herself for her rape. She still haven't forgiven herself for her rape. She really wasm't commenting on the victim...for a moment she went back in time.

Mo Beasley

It reads as if Rolling Stone mis-quoted Serena or took her words out of context. calling it a "B.S. Statment" is rude and...small of you TMZ Sports.

Kaaka

All the haters want a EXCUSE to come and jump on Serena for saying something that needed to be said.Which was why was a girl of that AGE there DRINKING UP ALCOHOL.because i can assure you that girl wasn't drinking DIET PEPSI and it got SPIKE and things went down from there.

She didn't need to apologize!! all she had to say was " i would luv to apologize but i would be apologizing for something i answer honestly that cross my mind .. Which was- why is a girl of that AGE in that environment using alcohol.But by no means is my statement a excuse for the guys who did what they did"