Famous Black Chef

Paula Deen Might Be Racist

... But I Still Respect Her

6/20/2013 5:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0617-joe-randall-paula-deen
Famed black Southern chef Joe Randall -- who once taught Paula Deen a few tricks -- says he's extremely hurt by Deen's admitted use of the n-word ... but tells TMZ, he'd STILL welcome her at his establishment.

Randall -- who runs the famous Savannah Cooking School in Georgia where Deen once studied -- tells us, he can't say definitely whether Deen's a racist simply because she once used the n-word ... but says, "I can say that her admitting to using derogatory language and the n-word is very hurtful."

Randall called the language racist, but said, "You have to understand we're in the South and some people think that it's acceptable to use [racist] language from 50 years ago."

Now the shocking part ... Randall says, "As a businessman, of course she is welcome in my establishment like any other client would be. I wouldn't turn her down at all."

He adds, "Although I don't respect that she used derogatory hateful words ... and if she came into my establishment and we were to talk, I would tell her I don't agree with her words."

Translation: money talks, racist or not.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

Jordan

People like Raquel needs to back off Paula, If Chris Brown has a Constitutional Right to Express his Bland Art in Front of his House, than Paula Deen has her Constitutional right to use the N- Word.

NOT ELMO

Translation: money talks, racist or not..................is He Perry White from the fantastic and wonderful movie Man Of Steel ????

21stcent

She used the the word years ago and in private. The N word is that, a word.
Rappers use the word the most these days anyway.
No one is upset with their use of it, why should anyone else?
Oh that's right it's ok if a black person uses it

Mark

If she said she's not a racist then I think we should give her a break. So she said the N word when she was younger, we all said and did stupid things back in the day. People change.

trolling along

Butter y'all!!! *licks fingers*

smurfya

She's probably about as racist as people who swear they have never used a racial slur ever.

Waka Waka Waka

Seriously get over it already. That card is so plaid out.

static

Everybody is a hypocrite when it comes to this as if Joe Randall never said anything racist at least Paula had the balls to tell the truth.

Stiletto

Using the "n" word does not make you a racist. When people get mad a someone else, they use whatever words will hurt the most & when nothing stands out, we revert to the standard ah0le and so on. However, black people need a continuing reason to feel put down & insulted in order to justify their inability to achieve happiness, success and pass through the black/white barrier and just be "people"...having someone else --an entire race in this case-- to blame all your problems, failures & bad decisions on...well, it's a drug they just can't seem to kick. White people were high on this very same drug for decades...but managed to move past it many, many years ago. For myself, I'll worry about using the "n" word in anger when they stop using it as a greeting/compliment/endearment...and then acting shocked & outraged when someone of another skin color uses it.

Jerry

Anyone who says they haven't used the word n i g g e r is a damn liar. Everyone has at one point or another.

Mugsy

"You have to understand we're in the South and some people think that it's acceptable to use [racist] language from 50 years ago- Every Rap song uses the N-word. I am so sick of the double standard. How can you ban a word, its just a word. Why are people giving it so much power

BB not bb

She went to a black man's cooking school but he still calls her a racist? I think he knows full well that she really is not. I think he is just giving his nod to the black persecution of whites now that is part of the culture.

They feel entitled to take people to task for every casual word that slips out of their mouths. Who are they to judge anyone? Do they never speak bad of anyone themselves? I find them to be more spiteful and racist than anyone.

That is so nice of him to let her eat in his restaurant still. I guess her being a kind hearted woman who works with and accepts and hires and attends the schools of people of all races isn't enough to give her the credit of not being a hatemonger.

It is always the innocent whites who get targeted. I don't see these gung ho civil rights warriors really going after the true racists. They waited for the whites to do that, the Jews and others who went down south and got killed fighting for their equality.

South Beach

I truly hate that word and don't buy into the "black can say it, white can't" BS. I want EVERYBODY to quit using that word, and think rappers should set the example.

I know, when pigs fly.

laura

Let me tell you something white, black, spanish, asian, I could go on.... ALL have their prejudices for one reason or another. Color of skin, the way they speak, the way they live. Black people can be just as racist against whites....... It's tiresome, who cares it's a double standard if you have dark skin you can say the N word and get a free pass, if you are a rapper.....Well what about the white people who sing those lyrics are we now racists? Uh-oh guess I am cuz I sing the lyrics!
_____

laura

Let me tell you something white, black, spanish, asian, I could go on.... ALL have their prejudices for one reason or another. Color of skin, they way they speak, they way they live. Black people can be just as racist against whites....... It's tiresome, who cares it's a double standard if you have dark skin you can say the N word and get a free pass, if you are a rapper.....Well what about the white people who sing those lyrics are we now racists? Uh-oh guess I am cuz I sing the lyrics!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments