Paula Deen

My N-Word Excuse ...

I'm Old

6/20/2013 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0620_paula_deen_article_tmzPaula Deen is using the "I'm from the South" excuse to justify her use of the N-word ... saying that when she grew up, dropping an N-bomb was no big deal because everyone was racist.

Paula Deen Enterprises just issued the following statement to TMZ ... "During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today."

FYI -- the "time" Paula admitted to using the N-word was 1986!!!!!

Anyway, the statement continues ... "[Paula] was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."

"To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination. "

As we previously reported, Deen admitted using the N-word during a sworn deposition stemming from a lawsuit ... in which the chef and her brother are accused of using offensive language at Paula's restaurant in Georgia.

Zee

There are plenty of people who grew up in the south during the time PD was born and they don't use the word just because they lived in the south or because everybody was racist. That is a lie, there were some who did everything they could for the "Civil Rights Movement" and they lived in the south. PD has no excuse!

Bradley

I can see that my comments have an effect like or hate. The real point I was trying t o make is that people need to stop labeling one another- all peoples are guilty of that. In this day and age, with so many serious problems, its all past due to let go. Sorry if my brand of humor offended anyone.

geebudd

while it is supposely to be socially excepted in the so-called black neighborhood(in which i say is STUPID),to use the word,******,is as dull as dish water.B.F.D!.enough with this politically correctiveness.

rae28

I am so disgusted with comments I am seeing..

USArmy

You really have to laugh at the "outrage" of some. People who are outraged have no problem when blacks are racists against others and who also use the "N-Word". I'm betting that the majority of those outraged have use a racist term once or twice in their life. If they say otherwise, they are liars.

geebudd

when so-called blacks use the word,"******" with no repercussions, why not everyone else.ugly as stupid does. and its STUPID to think that its ok for blacks to "own it', and not others to use it as freely as they do. personally i like the word negro.so let the cracker use the word. you should hear my vocabulary; i say ******,wetback, cracker, redneck,*******,***,socksuckes,etc. enough with the "policital corrcetiveness" go ****-off (by the way i'm a negro,bitch

TMS

She 66 and was born and raised in the south, of curse she's used that word! Duh!! Let's also remember that the phrase "the n-word" didn't come about until the 1995 OJ Simpson trial. So, year, it's no shocker that she would have used it in 1986. Plus, just because you use that word does NOT make you a racist. This was a perfectly acceptable word to use for a very long time.

Tami

To those of you saying slavery was a long time ago and black people need to get over the "racist card" i say " we'll Stop with the racist card, when Jews stop with the Holocaust card and Japanese stop with the Hiroshima card, and Armenians stop with the Turkey Genocide card and America stop With the 911 card and, yea should we go on???

Jenny

I think she was 39 years old when she used the n-word in 1986. That doesn't sound old to me

Tiggy

Hey since BLACK people address each other a ******, then it's free game for everyone else. Is it right? NO! But you can't play both sides. You can't claim "we can use it but you white honkeys can't"...that is racist!! So blacky it doesn't work that way....so either stop using it yourself or get the eff over it!!!!

Darius

Is Paula Dden being sued for money? When was this sort of thing not about getting easy money, anyway? When will this kind of suit stop? Haven't this being milked enough, generations after generations?

hotandcold

I'm sick of old effers hiding behind the "N" word. I'm old and have NEVER used that word. It's an awful word and has no reason to be used for any reason!!

skyke

Has anyone been on social media, gone to a public school or listen to teenagers in a social setting. This word has become a part of their regular vocabulary. African Americans cannot condone using it some of the time depending on the race that is using it. The kids are using it as part of their slang . Either teach all kids that's its wrong and why or shut the hell up!!! Yes I am a southern African-American whose parents taught me why that word is never acceptable. It doesn't matter whose using it

N/A

The thing is she is trying to uphold an image that she is no longer. The act is no longer we see her for who she truly is and it's not the sweet southern charming woman we thought. Paula is deseving and a heartless bitch.

oneputt2many

Again confusion hits me. Is it the word or the way it is used that is a problem. I am a white person of Jewish heritage when I was growing up in the Bronx I had many black friends. There were many days when the conversation went like this. Hey ***** whats up? Not much Jewboy, play some hoops.
Did that make me a racist? If I got in trouble in the wrong neighborhood and they were around they covered for me he is one of us,
It is not the word it how the word is used.