Paula Deen

Food Network Blames

Paula's Abysmal PR Team

6/22/2013 1:42 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0621-paula-deen-food-networkPaula Deen's PR team botched her n-word apology so badly ... the Food Network had no choice but to fire her, sources close to the network tell TMZ.

According to our sources, her management's clumsy damage control -- backing out of the Matt Lauer interview and releasing multiple lame mea culpas -- was the primary reason the Food Network pulled the plug on the celebrity chef.

We're told the apology videos were the last straw -- clinching the Food Network's decision to drop the ax on her. And if you've seen the videos, it's not a big shock. (Apology 1, Apology 2)

But the silver lining ... we're told Paula's son Bobby Deen will be spared ... his Food Network show "Not My Mama's Meals" won't be affected by his mama getting the boot.

Might want to rename it though.

I won't grow up

So typical for all the liberal jack ass commenters to be so upset with a self made woman, because she admitted, under oath, that she used a word that every liberal has probably used themselves.
The hate that is being spewed on this comment blog is no different than the "so called" hate she has been fired for speaking years ago. If she had lied the liberal left would have crucified her anyway. They hate a successful conservative woman, they did the same to Martha Stewart.
I never did like Ms. Deen very much, but she is being condemned for telling the truth, that is wrong in this current PC world.
She can now retire to her mansion and count her well earned millions. Good for her!!!

john

Paula can make this all go away - bang a few darkies and all will be forgiven. LOL!!!!!

irishjess

How the hell is this any different than Tarantino winning awards for D'Jango Unchained??? I can't even count the number of times the N word was in that movie, yet he's not crucified... I think Spike Lee was the only one who called him out, but otherwise the use of the N word was ignored... BUT then again Tarantino is a Liberal so I guess that makes it A-OK?

mrsschrute

Food network knew about her behavior. This is a knee jerk reaction because now everyone knows. Honestly, I think she probably is not the greatest person in the world, but none of us are without flaws. I do not condone the language she uses, but at some point the network has to accept blame. If they are going to fire someone, don't wait to do it until everyone knows what you have known for years. She is not of good character, but in this country that certainly doesn't exempt you from being rich and famous.

mousetrap

I see so much of what Paula Deen is talking about, as far as "the old way" of acting in the South. And for a lot of women like her, it can be very confusing and ironic looking for other people. I saw it in my mother, my grandmother, and my great-grandmother (and fathers). And I am not that young myself. For a large number of older people raised in the South, they can many times freely use racial slurs and act discriminatory. But simultaneously, they will treat minorities with incredible tenderness and love. Almost like their own family.

The stories I have of witnessing all this for many, many years are endless. And both heartbreaking and touching. I remember when I very young, my great-grandmother would devote time in the evening to planing "Dear Jim's" (the gardener's) lunch stew and sandwiches for the next day. She wanted it to be just right for him. But she stored his tin lunch plate and cup under the kitchen sink and he ate on the back stoop. My grandmother called Brazil nuts "n!g ger toes" and would tell my mother to take coins out of her mouth because "you don't know if a n!g ger has had those". But she would openly oppose Jim Crow laws and fly into a rage if anyone overtly mistreated a black person. And she was forever going on and on about how beautiful their skin is. I can not tell you the number of times I heard, "Oh God, they got the most beautiful skin. Their skin doesn't wrinkle. What do they use on it. Is it chicken grease?" I could give five pages of stories. The point is, although something may be fundamentally wrong, it is not always totally as it seems. There are people who have some ways of behaving that are very, very ingrained in them, but don't wholly reflect where their heart really is. This is lost on people today. This political correctness is run amock and is not taking into account cultural divides, age divides, comedy and satire. Paula is probable a fine woman whose heart is in the right place. And shame on Food Network for making such a rash decision. I will never watch them again.

MikeClovis

So now if you ever used a derogatory word in your past you are labeled forever. Hmmm.
I'll pass on Food Network from now on. There are too many other choices on the tube.

Justsay Nohan

@elpablo: You must not have gone to High School or you'd know that British Literature has nothing to do with spelling. I understood the gist of your text because cretins like you force me to become fluent in Pre-Cambrian Drunkorexic. I would reciprocate with a maternity-inspired quip of my own but out of respect for your unmarried, crack-addicted teen mother, I will decline.

cake

So she deems herself a non-rascist, victimized by PR?

Waka Waka Waka

Paula Deen is like a turkey on thanksgiving... DONE!!!!

bkfairlane

Good riddens Ms Deen. Thank you Food Network for your continued Integrity in programming, I shall remain a devoted viewer.

Ms Deen should have been gone long ago, she's a loud-mouth who has no filter to her deeply held beliefs that she and her fans are somehow superior to other segments of our society. They should be ashamed....it's 2013, maybe they can step into the 21st Century now that we're well into it. I'm the same age and actually like that things and people can change with the times and be more open-minded and grow.

Dela

It's a shame that she has been punished like this, when comedians ,song writers , actors, and singers do the very same thing either about whites or blacks on a daily basis. There isn't a day that goes by where there isn't a movie on TV showing Nazzi theme stuff. How right is that. In America there is free speech guarenteed under our Constitution . It comes to mind a co- host on the view has been insulting numerous times and has gotten a pass. You all know her Ms.Baher ,she was even rewarded by the network with her own show. How do you like that? The word used by Deen is in the dictionary. What's next burning dictionaries. Burning books is not a new concept in history you know. Where do we stop with this . She appologized so get on with it. Stop the witch hunts the Salem days are long over. If you make an example of her then all are at fault.

GOLLY

Sticks and stones my break my bones, but words can never hurt me.

Many of us learned this growing up. Don't you wish more would.

hatecanbefun

So her team is as dumb as she is. Anyone surprised?

Cat3137

Wait a minute. Bill Maher can go on camera and make fun of retarded and Down's syndrome children and not get a slap on the wrist. Paula gets fired for an OFF CAMERA comment she made long ago. Who cares? Black people even use that word. I don't even watch the FN and I think it's totally ridiculous. WTF?

AnnieSH

I lived in Memphis for the majority of the 80s and 75% of my friends were black. One of the main reasons was because the whites were extremely racist (except for the 25% I was friends with). The other reason was they were more fun. :) Anyway, working in customer service, not one day went by without hearing the N word - or worse. Yes, there are worse words. And on the other hand, the racism went the other way as well. Some justified it as "jumping the gun"; assuming all whites were prejudice.

I'm in no way defending Paula, but in the deep south, things were different back then. Plus the main thing people need to remember is that when we - all of us - are angry, we say the most despicable things. If it's a woman; she's a cnut. If a man; an a hole. And so forth....