Jim Carrey

RIPS His Flick

'Kick Ass 2' is Too Violent

6/23/2013 3:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0623-jim-carrey-getty
Jim Carrey
doesn't care if he torpedoes his new movie "Kick-Ass 2" ... he's speaking his mind ... bashing the film's extreme violence in the wake of last year's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Jim -- who plays Colonel Stars and Stripes -- tweeted his sentiments today, saying, "I did Kickass a month b4 Sandy Hook and now in all good conscience I cannot support that level of violence.”

He added, "My apologies to others involved with the film. I am not ashamed of it but recent events have caused a change in my heart.”

The film, due out in August, is a highly anticipated sequel. The first one grossed almost $100 million worldwide. Make no mistake, to have Carrey -- by far the movie's biggest star -- drop his support is a huge blow.

We reached out to Universal -- the studio behind the flick -- so far no word back.

BigHoss

Give back all the money that you made from the movie jimmy, maybe then we'll take you serious.

Justin

apparently he won't do interviews or promote the movie at all......Sue his ass for breach of contract

Sandra

This guy did the movie knowing it had violent content ! He is behaving like a jerk and I am sure he did not return his pay cheque!!

Mike

I love TMZ but you guys are to close tot the Hollywood community to be objective. You are mistaken if you think what Jim Carrey says will sabotage the movie, in fact, you should know what they say about publicity.

Not to mention that Jim Carrey has zero credibility.

FLTom

Jim Carrey is a perfect example of emotivism (look it up), Hollywood style. Let Carrey think for himself with that mushy head of his, but whatever you do, do not let him, or anyone else in Hollywood, do YOUR thinking for YOU. Do the hard work yourself, and think for yourself. My 2cents.

Marvin

Well no more jim carey movies for me. done with that.

Marvin

does anyone in there right mind think jim carey has the intelligence to make a political decision?

Italia

Why would Jim Carey want to relate his movie to a recent massacre?

Buster

It is a movie d!p5h!t.

moonies61

Another creep to jump on a bandwagon..,.he was on the "do not vacinate your children" band wagon when he was with Jenny McCarthy so it dosent surprise me that he makes stupid remarks like this. Maybe he needs to make a movie of him sitting in a chair for 2 hours doing nothing. Its a MOVIE not real life. Jeez your not that great a actor. I watched your batman movie...there was a fight or two in that.

Kay

Sounds like a Publicite

Trooper Tom

OK then send the money back you got paid for doing this

DaveO

Was that guy at Sandy Hook dressed like a super hero?

David

I have total respect for Jim Carrey and his decision. I also feel that there is too much violence projected in movies and T.V. This America needs to re-directed itself or we will self destruct. Thank you Jim Carrey for standing up to your beliefs and not catering to what is popular in Hollywood.

Sindi

Syria, Somali and South Africa are some of the most violet countries on the planet. Why do I know nothing about how violent their movie industry is? There have been a series of uncoordinated mass stabbings, hammer attacks, and cleaver attacks in the People's Republic of China that began in March 2010. Do we blame their film industry? I'm just not getting the connection between violent movies and the school shootings.