Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes

Fam Disappointed in TLC

Over New 'Waterfalls'

6/23/2013 12:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

The family of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes' feels betrayed by TLC's decision to re-record "Waterfalls" with a Japanese pop star ... because no one even bothered to tell them.

T-Boz and Chili recently released a new version of the group's 90's hit -- in honor of their 20th anniversary . Instead of keeping Left Eye (who died in 2002) on the recording, they replaced her with Namie Amuro (think Britney Spears of Japan).

Left Eye's sister, Reigndrop Lopes, is extremely disappointed, telling TMZ, "I did not know about it until a fan posted it online. I mean it would have been nice if they would have given us a heads up before being surprised."

Reigndrop says her mom was shocked and hurt as well ... because she felt keeping Lisa on the song would have honored her daughter's memory.

Despite her disappointment, Reigndrop added she's alright with the remake ... if, and only if, it's only released in Japan. It's unclear if that's TLC's plan.

Ok, let's just enjoy the original ...

UPDATE: Reigndrop now says she's cool with the remake ... as long as

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Vero

just for information : Namie Amuro worked in 2000 with Dallas Austin who worked also with TLC.

Promise

They should have just went solo after lisa died. Why are they trying to bring tlc back? They are beating a dead horse

anonymouslysaying

EEw, this version is beyond WHACK!

anonymouslysaying

This version is whack

patty w.

what the hell were they thinking???? just bloched the whole song.. should of never remade the song and kept it as it was. r.i.p left eye

Rick

javascript:void(0);

I'm not Namie's number 1 fan... but to compare her to Britney is an insult. Britney Spears has great music and undoubtedly is an icon, but Namie is more like the BEYONCE of Japan. She can sing, she can dance, and she is EVERYWHERE. She actually has talent :x Unfortunately she won't be perceived as well in America because of this horrible remake. They shouldve left the song as it was.

Monica

Oh no, that's awful, awful version. If it was still a good song, I'd be okay with it, but this is just bad.

melmika

Comparing Namie Amuro to Britney Spears is like comparing Beyonce to a Kardashian. I listen to her music as its more R&B than you can handle.

Lovejac23

That's why they didn't say anything .Had to have known the family would not be pleased. Left Eye will never be replaced. Maybe they are running out of money and need to do this. I won't listen to it. There is one and only "Waterfalls" The first and the last.

Drop

Reigndrop Lopes UNEDITED QUOTE:

"I did not know about it until an fan posted it online. I mean, it would have been nice if I had been given a heads up, before being surprised by seeing/hearing it online. I was in Tokyo yesterday with my mother and it was playing in a Harajuku shop. She did not know about it either. I'm cool with it if it's just for Japan only."

Drop

Lumi

Omfg you are all dumb In a statement Reigndrop said that TMZ made this all up and they mixed up her words ! Goh ! Ignorant people

R I P Lefteye

Lefteye CAN NOT be replaced! This japanese girl didnt make it a hit,and neither did ROZONDA or T-BOZ!l LISA did! Are yall crazy???

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5