Paula Deen

Dropped By Publisher

6/28/2013 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0628_paula_deen_ballentine_books_tmz
The demolition derby known as Paula Deen's empire rolls on -- she's just been dropped by one of her publishers, which says it will no longer release her next project ... which was expected to be a best seller.

In a statement released Friday, Ballantine Books announced it has cancelled the publication of "Paula Deen's New Testament: 250 Favorite Recipes, All Lightened Up".

But get this ... even though the book wasn't set to come out until October, it's already #1 on Amazon with pre-order sales.

Ballantine adds its name to the long list of companies abandoning ship in light of Deen's n-word controversy ... The Food Network, QVC, JCPenny, and Smithfield Hams, etc ...

0628_companies_dropped_paula_deen_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

missbigshot

Paula CLAIMS she said it decades ago but that is NOT what her former employee claims. Paula has no remorse and as she said on the Today Show: "I is what I is!"

qwerty

At first I was shocked - by her comments, the slavery themed wedding, the black employee she both praised and insulted on tv. But now, the reaction has gone too far. This has to stop already. Even Jesse Jackson wants her crucifixion to end already. She's becoming a race martyr.

lalet

This whole thing just doesn't make sense!
There has to be more too this. I think she was being honest when she said that someone had it out for her. Obviously someone with a lot of power. Like the obamas who didnt like it when paula tattled on Michelle Obama and told everyone that she loves fried foods and pigged out on her show.

Lekili

Who is the person behind this smear campaign? Shame on Target, Wal-Mart and Sears for dropping Paula and keeping foul mouthed rap and hip hop stars who spew more racial crap in one song than this woman has in an entire lifetime. It was 30 years ago, get over it and move on. Why is it OK for us to be called names by African Americans but not OK for white people to turn the tables? This is a double standard and reverse discrimination.

Hollywierd_gurl

I wasn't much of a Paula Dean follower, but I was totally done as soon as I heard her say "I is what I is" on the Today Show. Really??? This just made her sound ignorant, and uneducated. I hope she just lays low for awhile, she's only making things worse by doing these interviews!

Val Maylone

For those of you who don't think Deen et al should suffer repercussions from fostering a hateful, bigoted, misogynistic workplace, please read the original complaint filed by the plaintiff. THIS LINK will take you there

THIS is why people are dropping Deen like a hot potato.

Now, for all y'all Deen supporters who think it's OK to say the N word because everybody does it, I was just BANNED from FACEBOOK for posting this comment on a Pro Paula Deen link. Some people who support Deen reported it as abusive. What kind of hypocrites are you anyhow?

"We removed this from Facebook because it violates our Community Standards:
Women should be in the kitchen or in the maternity ward. N*ggers should be in the woodpile trying to catch some Z's instead of trying to vote. Mexican Americans should be picking avocados and lettuce. Let's all go back to Paula Deen's 1950's where life is a dream shaboom."

I wonder if TMZ will ban me for my snarky sarcasm at Deen's expense because some bigot doesn't like people taking potshots at bigotry by illustrating the evils thereof.

Previous 15 Comments | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13