Pharrell Sues Will.i.am

I'm Going All Dr. Seuss

On Your Ass!!!

7/1/2013 1:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0701_pharrell_williams_will_i_am_articleWill.i.am ... Will.iam ... Pharrell doesn't like that Will.i.am ... and now he's suing the Black Eyed Peas rapper in what's becoming a pretty nasty trademark war ... which now involves Dr. Seuss, TMZ has learned.

Pharrell -- who's featured on TWO mega-hits right now ("Get Lucky" & "Blurred Lines") -- recently launched a YouTube channel called I Am Other ... and he's pissed that Will.i.am is trying to block him from using the name.

Why? According to Pharrell, Will has already sent him a cease and desist letter informing P that he owns the rights to all things with an "I Am" element ... and warned Pharrell to back down or else.

Pharrell didn't run scared ... he ran to court ... and SUED Will -- in an effort to stop Will from stopping him.

In the suit, filed in federal court in NY and obtained by TMZ, Pharrell argues that they are each using "I Am" in completely different ways.

Pharrell says Will is using the "I Am" is a Seussian way -- as a playfull riff on his own name -- and to hammer home his point, he quotes from Green Eggs and Ham:

"Sam I am
I am Sam
I am Sam
Sam I am"

Pharrell continues in his suit, "In contrast, the I Am Other mark means 'I am something else,' leaving what that 'else' is to the imagination of the consumer. It certainly does not mean 'I am Will.'"

Pharrell is asking a judge for written permission to continue using the "I Am Other" mark.

So far, no comment from Will's camp.

eqquesz

I think I am in the wrong place with this Green Eggs and Ham dialog going on here; this is way too deep without getting paid first.

Simone

It's ridiculous he was allowed to trademark anything with "I am" in the first place.

rey

William Sucks so hard at music I don't even know how he is making money.

hannahcuellar

How funny considering Will.I.AM rips off talented musicians and recreates their music into some horrible crappy techno. Which sounds like every other song on the radio.

I'm A Lawyer

Douchebag he is.

Laura

Holy crap! What has happened to society? This story, and this argument--laughable.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

I'm pretty sure that "God" feller has dibs on the phrase--I am.

Azi

I am and you are not !

sarah

Will.i.am only came up with that name because his name is William.
"I am" means something else to the rest of us, dumbass.you.are. It's how we begin a sentence describing ourselves.
He is so pompous.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

What am I? What am I? I'm Popeye, the sailor. I'm Popeye, the sailor. I AM WHAT I AM!!!!

dontgivearatsass

Exodus 3:14... "I am who I am"

Bell

I want to trade mark the alphabet.

Italia

Will.i.am wrote most, if not all, of the music to the 3 "Madagascar" movies. Pharrel wrote the hits to the "Despicable Me" movies. Both are superior song writers.

Oceanspud

This is really clever on Pharrell's lawyers parts. They (the lawyers) laid it out so clearly that there is no way Will.I.Am is going to win the suit against him.

Barbarascy

It is a shame what some people have lawsuits about. 'I am' is a common phrase and nobody owns it. There is more pressing business to deal with.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments