Pharrell Sues Will.i.am

I'm Going All Dr. Seuss

On Your Ass!!!

7/1/2013 1:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0701_pharrell_williams_will_i_am_articleWill.i.am ... Will.iam ... Pharrell doesn't like that Will.i.am ... and now he's suing the Black Eyed Peas rapper in what's becoming a pretty nasty trademark war ... which now involves Dr. Seuss, TMZ has learned.

Pharrell -- who's featured on TWO mega-hits right now ("Get Lucky" & "Blurred Lines") -- recently launched a YouTube channel called I Am Other ... and he's pissed that Will.i.am is trying to block him from using the name.

Why? According to Pharrell, Will has already sent him a cease and desist letter informing P that he owns the rights to all things with an "I Am" element ... and warned Pharrell to back down or else.

Pharrell didn't run scared ... he ran to court ... and SUED Will -- in an effort to stop Will from stopping him.

In the suit, filed in federal court in NY and obtained by TMZ, Pharrell argues that they are each using "I Am" in completely different ways.

Pharrell says Will is using the "I Am" is a Seussian way -- as a playfull riff on his own name -- and to hammer home his point, he quotes from Green Eggs and Ham:

"Sam I am
I am Sam
I am Sam
Sam I am"

Pharrell continues in his suit, "In contrast, the I Am Other mark means 'I am something else,' leaving what that 'else' is to the imagination of the consumer. It certainly does not mean 'I am Will.'"

Pharrell is asking a judge for written permission to continue using the "I Am Other" mark.

So far, no comment from Will's camp.

Pinkyrock

I absolutely love Pharrell. Why not make a mockery from all this using Dr.Suess. Which is where the "real" I Am derived. Back off Will. You're jealous of Pharrell anyway. Glad to see he's no punk!! Skateboard P

cathy

who are this peope my goodness

Fitzie

Will.I.Am just spells out William anyway .. he's trippin. .. Rock on Pharrell!!

burning_plastic

This is funny because Swill I Am gets sued for everything he "writes" and gets no respect as an artist, only for being a commercial copycat, and Pharrell is a musical genius who would only lose if people get the two confused.

David-Miscavige-Cruise

Will.i.am = Dick.u.are!

Meow

Team Pharrell!

MsRita

That is the first book 2 year olds read for the first time. That was the book for my 4 kids. Know they are reading a book a day.

mary jo

WILL Iam is an idiot. He should leave Pharrel alone this is one smart guy... and Pharrel go after that ******* Will IAM take him downnnnnn by the way nobody can use the word down I have trade mark that I will sue you.

TheNameRaiza

I am? Can't everybody use this phrase? I am? You can't use this phrase unless you're being sued?!?!? WTF? I am???????

pharrell_w

PHARRELL IS THE **** & HE KNOWS WHAT HES BEEN DOING AND WILL DO. I LOVE U ROCK ON BABY!!!!!!!:))

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2