Paula Deen

Victim of Extortion Attempt

7/5/2013 1:16 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0628_paula_deen_article_tmz_3The FBI arrested a man in New York this morning after he allegedly tried to extort $250,000 from Paula Deen ... claiming he would release "true and damning" statements made by Deen unless she paid up.

According to a federal criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Georgia on June 24, Deen's attorney went to the FBI after Deen received an email and follow up phone call from a man named Thomas Paculis.

The complaint claims Paculis threatened to go to the media with information he claimed would bring hardship and financial ruin to Deen.

According to the FBI, Paculis' email to Deen's attorney read, "I am about to go public with statements refuting your clients statements about using the 'N' word in her business practices at Lady and Son's ... The statements are true and damning enough that the case for Jackson will be won on it's merit alone."

The email went on to say there is a price for such information and urged Deen's attorney to contact him.

The revelation that Deen had used the N-word, which came about from a leaked deposition she gave as part of a lawsuit against her, came to light just days before.

Paculis was taken into custody today and will go before a judge in Savannah, GA on July 16.

CLINT

Let it go already TMZ. This woman has been vilified and made out to be the whore of Satan and has lost plenty because of her words. Now try going after all of those who use words you don't like in the name of comedy. Howard Stern is the worst of all, yet he is America's Got Talent million dollar judge. Lot's of comics use racist names in the name of comedy, yet nobody cares. I get that what she said was wrong, but it is time to back off and let this woman live the rest of her life in peace.

AMateToTalkTo

WHO IS WRITING THIS STUFF TODAY???

"....with information he claimed WITH bring hardship and financial ruin to Deen".

FOR THE LOVE OF GRAMMAR, GET THE EDITOR TO VERIFY YOUR MATERIAL.

Your writing is pathetic.

lead

IF he truly has info, i want to see it, wish he hand't been arrested for it

Just My Opinion

WOW! THIS MAN GETS ARRESTED, AND MEL GIBSON'S EX NIGHTMARE GOT AWAY WITH IT.

Your S&M Girlfriend

I always found her teeth-gnashingly annoying but I think this whole thing started with extortion and has turned into a witch hunt. I won't watch her in any way, shape, or form, but I hope she comes back stronger than ever.

Wellington

Although I have no sympathy for this guy, I've never bought Deen's claim that she's only used the n-word once in 30 years. Only someone who uses it as part of their vocabulary on a regular basis would answer, "Of course I have" when asked if she's ever used it implying, "who doesn't".

NR Davis

Paula Deen is awful, but this guy is the worst. No one deserves to be robbed or extorted.

Melissa

I'm tired of this racists stuff..."He without sin let him cast the last stone" Time to move on from this. The woman apologize...that's all she can do...the punishment of her will cost her her career basically with loss of sponsers. For those of you that want her to "pay"...She's paid in full...now go out and do something productive with yourself and let this be.

Margerine

Life's a bitch when you're a bigot.

Kel

DUMBAZZ is a little late for the party. Where's he going next to Kim Kardashian to blackmail her with her sex tape with Ray-j? Idiot!

lafreak

Is this fool for real?? WHAT an idiot!!

His news is so shocking...oohh... I'm surprised the horse didn't run over his sorry ass as it left the barn.

After Paula, her atty, and everyone else stops laughing at this fool, he should go sell fire insurance in the areas already burned.

Vote2012

Now the media will paint her as the victim, they twist and turn all these stories to keep them alive so the lowly dimwits in this country continue to follow the story and buy more newspapers and magazines.

IceGypsy

At this point what could he say that would make t hings worse. Hasn't she been dropped by pretty much everyone by now

Rich

I'm sick of this. If Deen used the "N" it is over. Amazing that Black can call white by words like Cracker etc and that's ok. Get a grip and realize this movement is based on a Black Muslim president.

Gretel

Come on TMZ, you have to quit this Paula Deen stuff. You know I have to be really careful about what I eat so my ass isn't the size of a small vehicle but every time I see her I think about fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and dessert ... move on to a bulimic please!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments