Randy Travis

Family and Friends 'Frantic'

About Singer's Condition

7/9/2013 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0708_randy_travis

The people closest to Randy Travis are extremely worried about the singer's condition ... with sources telling TMZ his health had declined pretty rapidly in recent days after coming down with what he initially thought was a bad cold.

Sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ ... just 3 weeks ago, 54-year-old Travis completed his court-ordered rehab stemming from a 2012 drunk driving arrest ... and was finally back on the road.

We're told ... once Travis began touring, he came down with what he thought was a cold ... but turned out to be pneumonia.

Our sources say Travis' health deteriorated quickly ... and Sunday he was airlifted to a hospital, where he was treated for complications stemming from viral cardiomyopathy.

One medical expert tells TMZ viral cardiomyopathy is not necessarily a death sentence ... and some patients can survive, depending on the level of permanent damage to the heart muscle.

Travis' camp hasn't released the particulars about his medical situation -- only to say he's in critical condition.

Still, we're told Randy's friends and family are "frantic."

0709_Randy_travis_well_footer

Norma Desomd

I wouldn't be surprised if he has liver failure as well.

Donka Do Ball

Randy's gunna live Forever and Ever... Amen.

romba

Frantic to keep his bareback anal sex partners and drug addict friends from selling their stories.

happy2bjen

Too bad his family wasn't "frantic" when he was putting himself and others in danger with all his drunken buffoonery.

June

This man is fighting for his life and some people are calling him down for the way his lived his life!!! That's really sad because his made millions very happy with his music and what he does with his life should be up to him.wishing Randy the best so he can keep on making beautiful music and stays on this earth with us for awhile longer..your in my prayer's Randy Get Well Soon.

CelticOne

This is a shame.. such a talented singer (although I am not a country music fan by any sense of the term), too bad the booze is his kryptonite.

janetaz

I hope he recovers soon.

scoopie

hope he survives this and uses it as a reason to never go back to drinking

Bill03948

Seems like there's a new outbreak of SARS in Asia and he gets a "Bad Cold Like" virus... Are the American doctors doing another denial of SARS?

Mrs. A

I am not for certain that this is the best way to give him my well wishes...We all make mistakes, yes we do...but his music has always brought me serenity...I just want him to know that~Get well soon....Maybe you are not for sure that there are people that remember your music...no matter what...We want you to stay strong and survive~

WCM

I am sick of STUPID,IGNORANT People.Randy is fighting for his life and some of you want to make jokes and crude remarks.This is a medical condition and nothing to do with alcohol.Randy is a hard working,talented and humble man. Yes he has troubles in his life but don't we all,but his is put out for all the world to see.Wonder what would be said about you idiots if we could look into your life.I can honestly say hes a good man,I have a family member who is very good friends with Randy and has been for many years as well he works for Randy and he knows Randy has a wonderful heart.Randy has been there for my family member when he lost his dad and I know that my family member will be there for him. Instead of judging him how about praying. Love you Randy you are in my prayers,Get well soon.

Linda Angel

for gawdsake if TMZ is going to be a part of online then MAKE SURE YOUR WEBSITE COMMENTS ARE WORKING.....THIS WILL BE THE 3RD TIME I AM TRYING TO POST THIS!!!

I went through the same thing and Randy needs to be checked for Babesia a co-infection of Lyme disease....there is no definitive blood test for Babesia or Lyme for that matter without risking FALSE NEGATIVE....

LAPartyMcSage

Confucius say too many country redneck steak dinners turn your heart muscle into fat and allow an easy pathway for disease.

kitnplayn

Frantic.....that the money train will stop.

savannah