'Glee' Star Cory Monteith

Found Dead

in Vancouver

7/14/2013 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0713-cory-monteith-getty

Cory Monteith -- who famously played Finn Hudson on the TV show "Glee" -- died early Saturday morning in Vancouver ... he was 31 years old.

According to police in Vancouver the actor was found dead in his hotel room on the 21st floor of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel around noon ... when staffers went to check on him after the actor missed his check-out time.

In a press conference, officials said the actor was "clearly deceased" -- and had been so for several hours -- when police arrived on the scene.

071413_cory_monteith_presser_launch

Cops say Cory checked-in to the Fairmont on July 6th and was scheduled to leave July 13th. It is unclear why he was in Vancouver, but cops did mention he's from Canada and visits often.

The night before his death, Cory was seen in his room hanging with friends, before hitting the town ... but came back early Saturday morning ... alone.

0714_hotel_splash
Cops say "it was not immediately apparent" what caused his death, but no foul play is suspected. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

A rep for the actor says they are "in shock and mourning this tragic loss."

As TMZ previously reported, Monteith voluntarily checked himself into a treatment center back in April, admitting he had substance abuse issues.  It was his second time in treatment.

Prior to that, Cory had been open about his problems with drugs. Back in 2011 he told Parade Magazine, his family and friends were so afraid he "could die" they staged an intervention. He was 19 at the time.

He explained that his drug use consisted of "Anything and everything, as much as possible." Adding, "I had a serious problem."

0713-cory-monteith-dead

Eclipse1212

His death is not a surprise! It was just a matter of time!

Truth

I'm not gay so I don't know who this is.

Sarah

I'm so upset by the news. He seemed like a Amazing guy.. RIP xox
My Thoughts and prayers are with corys family and Friends! xo

DollyDagger

Seriously- like the first 25 posts on my Facebook feed are crybaby posts about some OD'd actor I've never heard of. Isn't there more pressing things going on in the world that we should all be discussing? How about student loan interest rates doubling because congress took no action to stop it, or the supreme court ruling that pharmaceutical companies can't be sued for adverse side affects of their drugs????? UGH!! But no, some t.v. actor who died doing drugs who most people wouldn't recognize by name is more important news. If we're going to have a huge collective discussion, it should be concerning more important things. Sorry if it sounds cold, but it's true.

randomnone

The h el l is going on tonight???? First that racist child murdered walks and now Corey is dead?????? Ughhh there is no justice in this world!!

Emmaretta

All I seem to be able to say right now is holy ****. R.I.P. Cory, you will definitely be missed.

Dr. Cornelia J. Dogbarker PhD

Don't even try to tell me it wasn't dope.

Reg

Those kids were worked so hard on that show, is it any wonder that some of them went down that road? Just another example of the "Hollywood" machine at work. GREED IS NOT GOOD!!!!!

Reg

Harvey for the millionth time, FIX this site!!!! Your Spammers (cash cows) have no problem posting do they??? From EVERONE!!!!

JrzyGrll

A very sad loss but we shouldn't assume drugs until it is confirmed and in respect of his family we should not spread rumors and allow them to grieve. It's a very sad loss for millions and should wait for facts.

jj

Thousands of people died today. Why is his death any more sad than someone else's ??

Ivan in Phoenix

So sad and so young. Peace to his family & friends.

kr

man.. I'm actually crying. this is unbelievably sad

Only for the Best

Horrifying. When I read this I was in disbelief. To his family, friends, and lover, I couldn't imagine the emotional pain they've sur come; he will be with us everywhere.

Kc05_2000

It was for sure drugs with knowledge from his mom